1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something doesn't add up here

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by galashan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. galashan

galashan New Member

I took my car to a garage to get my mot done, they passed the car and said i had a oil leak that needed sorting so i asked them how much and they quoted me around 70-80 to get it fixed.

So i got them to sort out the problem with the oil leak, they rang the same day saying that it was now going to cost close to 400 to get it sorted due to them finding that it was actually a cracked oil filter housing and i needed a new breather pipe as well, so i figured ok fine get it sorted.

They called me the following day to come pick the car up as its all done, i went to collect the car and got not even 1/2 mile down the road and the Oil Pressure Warning light came on so obviously i took the car straight back to the garage, i left it with them and they called the next day now stating that the oil pump had gone, but it seems to me they are just trying to cover there arses and they damaged something on the oil filter housing job and now trying to get me to pay for their cock-up.

Apparently they now say i need a new big end part and also a new strainer as they found metal in the strainer and they said that the thrust bearer on the pump had shattered.

surely the oil pump is nowhere near the oil filter housing and why on earth would they need to go looking at the big end as well it all sounds a bit fishy to me, just sounds like they have messed up and are trying to get money for nothing.

The car before it went in the garage never had any oil pressure issues at all and i always checked the oil regularly but when it comes out it has oil pressure problems, doesn't sound right to me

all advice/thoughts would be great as i know not much about cars and just dont want to be ripped off bigtime and left with a useless car that aint worth ****.

also how much would a oil pump cost as they quoted me a crazy price
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. tdi-man

tdi-man Active Member

what engine do you have ?
  3. galashan

galashan New Member

its a audi a3 2.0 fsi sportback 8pa
  4. chris.vincent3

chris.vincent3 Member

Ask to see such parts that have apparently failed.
  5. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep

Surely any issue with the pump would have been picked when they checked over the system or when they test drove the car after the first round of work, sounds dodgy that you only made it 1/2 a mile before losing oil pressure. Either they did a very poor repair job, or did damage somehow and thought/hoped you'd get further before you realised.
  6. galashan

galashan New Member

they said they had it on the ramps running in idle for 90 mins but never took it out for a drive, but this does all sound very dodgy to me
  7. mjr901

mjr901 S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

I'd also ask for some more fuel!! 90mins is well excessive!!!

With any part, replace, then road test, then re check for leaks etc.

Obviously a cooling issue may be a different story, and not related to this one!
  8. galashan

galashan New Member

yeah 90 mins is excessive
  9. farzad

farzad An Audi Fanboy

Sorry to hear this...

Did you log the mileage before hand, obviuosly all of these garages are bloody rip-offs, well personally happened to me twice before and tried blooding ripping me off for silly stuff...

I believe when making a change to any of the components, they get logged in the ECU... or I may be wrong, but double check these with another mechanic/garage! Probably your usual garage which used before these guys would be ideal!

Anyway good luck and hope you get it sorted ASAP! :)
  10. bmh.01

bmh.01 Member

You're wrong, the ecu will no have record of 99% of things being changed.
  11. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

That's sickening! I hate hearing stories of Garages ripping people off. Name & Shame them. They broke your car & they need to fix it or pay someone that knows what they're doing to fix it. Make sure you let them know there were no issues before they breathed on it & you'll report the incident to trading standards.

I personally never get MOT advisories repaired at the same garage that issued them, as it leaves too much room for ambiguity & dollar signs start popping up. ALWAYS ALWAYS get a second opinion before getting "recommended" work done.
  12. T8DPR

T8DPR Member

GET ALL THE OLD PARTS BACK

If they've disposed of them, tell them you can report them for theft as you still own them, and in this case definitely need them
  13. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep

I know most cars don't like warming up at idle, something to do with how the oil circulates... surely sat for 90mins would be even worse, especially since it was an oil issue they were fixing.