1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some sort of fan is running

Jasonchim Mar 15, 2014

1. Jasonchim

Jasonchim New Member

Hi everyone

When I turn my engine off and get out my car. There is some Sort of fan that still runs. It goes off if I start the car up again. Any idea What this could be

Thanks!!,

2. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

Is it diesel by any chance? Does it happen all the time?

3. articuno88

articuno88 Member Audi A3

Yeh, if it doesn't happen all the time, most likely the dpf has been regenerating. This has happened twice for me so far. There was also a distinctive smell too iirc.

4. wuta3

wuta3 Well-Known Member

radiator fan? Mine often runs for 30seconds or so after turning off the engine.

5. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

Mine used to do that, there are two fans one for aircon and one for rad. One of mine wasn't working so the other was working overtime. Have a look and check that they both work. Mine used to run after the engine switched off but since I got the other working it never happens anymore

6. Jasonchim

Jasonchim New Member

Hi All,

Yes my car is a diesel, 2.0 170.

i've only just noticed that the fan started to run after i turned off the engine..

never stood and see if the fan stops after 30 secs,

Think i pay more attention how long next time!!

thanks

7. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Don't most of the water cooled turbo cars have an after run pump that circulates the coolant round the turbo when you turn off the engine to cool it?

8. Jameze

Jameze James

It's definitely this.

OP you'll probably find your engine idles a bit higher than usual too and if you've got the gear suggestion on the DIS it will tell you to drive in a lower gear than usual.

9. articuno88

articuno88 Member Audi A3

Affirmative.
    Whenever I notice the gear change on the DIS being funny I know the dpf is trying to regen. so I try to change my route where it can do so. Once the Start-Stop is working again, I know the process is complete.