1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some sh*t keyed door. rough price for repair

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by lanceneoman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. lanceneoman

lanceneoman A4 S-Line 1.8T Avant 230 BHP

Right, i parked my car outside moms house for 20 mins, come out and theres a key mark one about 3 inches and another about 4 inches on my passenger door.

Their not really deep but you can just slightly put fingernail in.

Do scratch repair kits work? If so which one.

Ive asked chipsaway for a quote but they cant do it forages and i really havent got much money at the moment as ive only just bought the car.

All help appreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lanceneoman

by the way tried t cut scratch remover and no good at all.

4. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

£100 to £150 to do the whole door I would say.......prep, base, main paint and top coat before mopping after its baked

5. lanceneoman

ive asked chips away to come and give me a quote, i think they charge £65, or go around the whole car doing stone chips etc for £150

6. Artimus

Artimus Shortback

£150 seems cheap! wonder what the finished results are like!?!

7. lanceneoman

Chips away dont do a full respray they just fill in the gaps and scratches. I know aston martin use then as my dad is a mechanic there. A full respray fpr 150....well that would look terrible

8. A7788

A7788 Member

I used Chips Away on my Fiesta - very pleased with them.
    I had a quote yesterday to get some scratches and dents fixed on mine and was advised a rough price is normally £150 per panel.

9. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Chipsaway should be £120+VAT... they did a small puncture hole and two sizable scuffs on my back bumper for £120 and did me a good'un and touched up a couple of small stone chips as a freebie...

10. Artimus

Artimus Shortback

I realise that! lol It's just that my wife's car has 1 or 2 little dings in a door that I'd like removed & £150 isn't as high a price as I thought. :)

11. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

See if you can find a secondhand door in the same colour.......may be cheaper.

12. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

that approach is a recipe for disaster... some Audi codes have anything up to a dozen variant shades - I know the Avus Silver (mine) has three....

Chipsaway tape off the section to repair.... sand down and then spray: it was over half a dozen coats of paint and lacquer.... apparently different colours need different numbers of base/lacquer... you CANNOT see where their work starts/finishes, it's seamless with the original bumper.

Photo's are pointless, you can't see the work at all, but I'm happy for people to come and have a closer look at mine (near Wimbledon/Kingston, Surrey).

13. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

if you post a pic of the scratch then i may be able to let you into a little secret.

14. tom2

tom2 Member

hi,

I've used chips away for a scratch in the bonnet, somebody scratched a big letter S right in the middle of the bonnet. Took them about 3 hours and they knocked £30 off because they were about 40 minutes late (i didnt ask them to) but they did a brilliant job. once they had polished it up i couldnt see where they had re sprayed. cost me £120.

15. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Well-Known Member

try fill the mark in with paint and leave it to go hard for a few days then flat and polish

16. MrG A4

MrG A4 New Member

I'm not sure how bad your scratch is, but I recently used a touch-up kit brought from Audi with fairly good results and that was from my first attempt at a paint repair.
    I can't remember the cost but it wasn't much. It comes with brush-on paint & clear lacquer. My repair was down to the metal so I used a bit of primer aswell.
    Here's what I did, cleaned the area very well and allowed to dry. Used the brush to place some primer into small clean pots (a few small caps would do, I used some old blister packs that disposable contact lenses come in) then used a cocktail stick to paint the primer into the scratch, much easier to control for small repairs/scratches then a brush. Then did the same with the paint. For the lacquer I used the brush. I used 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of lacquer, left the lacquer on for a week to make sure. To sand back, I wrapped a small piece of 800 grit wet&dry round the end of a rubber eraser and lightly sanded back, repeated this with 1200grit to get it smooth with surrounding paint. Then rubbed down with polishing compound to get rid of the scratches, I borrowed some 3M perfect it, I'm sure there's plenty of others.