Some S3 advice please??

shorty1988m

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

So, i'm looking into getting my first Audi. While looking for a short term car while in the country i quickly and often increased my budget until i came upon the Audi S3. I've found a few cars and worked out some deals but they are all literally miles away from where i live so haggling without seeing a car is getting pretty difficult and theres such a difference in prices i have no idea what the hell i should be paying. Also, first time buying my own car!

I've set out what i want in the car such as must be black or white, black edition, rotor alloys, satnav/computer, one colour interior (no red/silver), under 40k miles (better under 30), 11 plate or newer and not a private sale. I'm not too fussed on audi approved as long as it has a full service history and does with some sort of dealer warranty. I don't really have a budget but i want to keep it around 20k.

I've found what i think to be a perfect match but want to haggle a deal (listed for 21500) before i drive the 150 miles to check it out. I don't want to go there without knowing some sort of discount is possible. Anyways, i just wanted some advice on what to look for in this particular model and how much you think i should be able to get this for?

Is a private sale any good with an Audi warranty until Sept 2015?

I would go with private,the dealers put a bit on for the plush surroundings/free drinks/skinny designer suits and pointy shoes the salesmen wear when buying the car

Reactions: ninjakid, doctor46goat, S3Alex and 1 other person
I would go with private,the dealers put a bit on for the plush surroundings/free drinks/skinny designer suits and pointy shoes the salesmen wear when buying the car
:applouse:

You can haggle over the phone especially if you're driving 150 miles and the car is at a dealer. Is it an Audi main dealer? If so check the franchise and also if there is the same Audi franchise nearer to you. As they are the same franchise they will have access to stock in other locations.

Having said that it doesnt matter what price is on the screen its what the car is worth to a potential buyer. If I were spending £20k it wouldnt be private as you have no recourse whatsoever if something goes wrong (unless its still under warranty). For this money I'm at an Audi dealer and haggling hard. This would mean paying a small premium over a private deal. Look around for the same car like for like - if you can find one cheaper use this with the dealer. I usually work on around 10% off the screen price (at least) depending on how desirable the car is and what options.

Good luck in your search.

Surely a free drinks worth an extra 500, right?

I wouldn't mind a private sale if i was sure of it but parents got screwed on outstanding finance one day and id like the legal cushion of knowing i could take it back to a dealer.

You can haggle over the phone especially if you're driving 150 miles and the car is at a dealer. Is it an Audi main dealer? If so check the franchise and also if there is the same Audi franchise nearer to you. As they are the same franchise they will have access to stock in other locations.

Having said that it doesnt matter what price is on the screen its what the car is worth to a potential buyer. If I were spending £20k it wouldnt be private as you have no recourse whatsoever if something goes wrong (unless its still under warranty). For this money I'm at an Audi dealer and haggling hard. This would mean paying a small premium over a private deal. Look around for the same car like for like - if you can find one cheaper use this with the dealer. I usually work on around 10% off the screen price (at least) depending on how desirable the car is and what options.

Good luck in your search.

My top of the list car at the minute is from a deal, although not an audi one, and they offer their own 12 month warranty which is comforting. I did try the audi network for a car and found one but it sold before i could get a look in for 19.5k. As id tried to haggle before i knew it was gone the guy pretty much acted like a **** and told me there would have been no chance so i turned down his request to find another one.

Last edited: