Some people just won't take 'NO' for an answer!

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
What's wrong with people? I have noticed recently that people have been trying it on with asking for freebies whilst making their order over the phone for fastfood. I have no issues with people asking the question, if you don't ask, you don't get right? And if you are going to ask, you should be ready to accept NO for an answer!

But lately, people have become arsey and borderline abusive if they don't get what they want, threatening with 'never ordering again' or the classic 'I'm a regular customer'... :wtf: I'm running a business here, not a frikin charity, I give freebies to who I feel like, and those that deserve it never need to ask me for it!

Also, charging for having food delivered... is that really not acceptable? Looking at the present petrol prices, and the wear and tear on the delivery driver's car, paying a quid to have your food delivered is nothing! I don't get any of the quid, the driver keeps it, why do people moan about paying this quid?

Can you tell I'm having a bad day at work?!?!

/End of rant!

Yeah I agree that people shouldn't get pee'd off if their attempts at getting free grub is refused.

As for the delivery charge being acceptable.... that's debatable.
Not sure what it's like up where you are, but down here in London you'd be hard pressed to find a take away who charge delivery.
Although to be fair, most do charge a small fee if you are spending under a certain amount (usually approx. under £8-£10).
But anything over that amount (which it is 99% of the time, due to the cost of take away food down here) then delivery is free.

The driver will still probably earn a quid or two as most will let him keep the change when paying for the food.

Do you charge delivery regardless of order total??

Being cheeky and asking is one thing, but persisting until you get something is another!!!!

Aw! Joe it keeps happening to you. Folk ask, but shouldn't I think. Our local gives feeebies but we've never asked and never would tbh. Like you said, its up to you, end of. Dont take any nonsense from them, their loss.

As for delivery!!! a quid is nothing, come on!!! Stand your ground mate.

Oh can I have a freebie???? haa haa only kiddin x

(The only freebie id like is a decent recipe for sweet n sour sauce! mines so bad its sad!)

Last edited:
Do you charge delivery regardless of order total??

I don't have a minimum order for delivery, so if you want a pack of chips delivered, it's plus 1 quid, and've had people order a curry sauce delivered, and they didn't complain about 1 quid delivery!!

But what does my head in is customers demanding stuff, then using 'another take away offers this and that' as an example. Honesty, my food is pretty much the cheapest around here, cos my profit is based on volume. Other places who offer free delivery, charge a lot more for their food!

I don`t understand how fast food places etc cannot charge for delivery. Why do people who sit at home and cannot be assed to go to the shop get the food for the same price as somebody who takes the time to walk in,wait and take it home with them? It`s not like people rid around on bicycles these days to deliver food. Just to buy,tax,insure a vehicle then pay somebody to do the delivery must come to a good £10,000 a year to start with before fuel,MOT and running costs. People who moan about delivery cost should just get off their lazy *** and drive in themselves if they think they can do it cheaper or better still see how many friends will drive in and get their food for nothing.

I don't have a minimum order for delivery, so if you want a pack of chips delivered, it's plus 1 quid, and've had people order a curry sauce delivered, and they didn't complain about 1 quid delivery!!

Curry sauce delivery???? Laaaaaaazzzyyyyyy!!!

But what I mean is.... do you have an amount where you will offer free delivery if customers spend more than that figure??

I mean, if I spend £20 on food and then they tell me that I've got to pay another £1 to have it delivered i'm not going to cry but I would wonder why they just couldn't offer delivery free as I am spending a fair amount.
I guess it just depends what it's like at the other takeaways in the area. Like I said, down here pretty much ALL takeaways offer free delivery when you spend more than about a tenner, so if one doesn't regardless of amount then it stands out a bit.

What do other food places near you do??? Charge as well?

Why do people who sit at home and cannot be assed to go to the shop get the food for the same price as somebody who takes the time to walk in,wait and take it home with them?

The thing is here though.......... by takeaways offering delivery they are increasing their customer base. Now they are selling to people (more importantly... making money from people) who wouldn't have / couldn't have ordered food if they had to collect it themselves.

People who moan about delivery cost should just get off their lazy *** and drive in themselves if they think they can do it cheaper or better still see how many friends will drive in and get their food for nothing.

But yeah, people shouldn't moan about having to pay delivery. If they ain't happy about it and really don't want to pay it then they should shop elsewhere.

Curry sauce delivery???? Laaaaaaazzzyyyyyy!!!

But what I mean is.... do you have an amount where you will offer free delivery if customers spend more than that figure??

I mean, if I spend £20 on food and then they tell me that I've got to pay another £1 to have it delivered i'm not going to cry but I would wonder why they just couldn't offer delivery free as I am spending a fair amount.
I guess it just depends what it's like at the other takeaways in the area. Like I said, down here pretty much ALL takeaways offer free delivery when you spend more than about a tenner, so if one doesn't regardless of amount then it stands out a bit.

What do other food places near you do??? Charge as well?

If someone spent £20, they would get free crackers. Can't comment on other take aways, I seriously don't know their practices, and I'm not the type to knock another shop down. My shop is established and been trading since 1976, the food sells itself!

There's no where near me that does free delivery. Working with the public an suck your will to live at times - worse for you i'm guessing as I dont have drunks to deal with LOL

Just out of interest.... what would it cost me at your place for a large special fried rice, chicken with green peppers in black bean sauce, and a spring roll?? Oh and some chips.

Just wondering what the price difference is compared to round here.

I would say for that meal I'd have to pay about £9 on average.

Just out of interest.... what would it cost me at your place for a large special fried rice, chicken with green peppers in black bean sauce, and a spring roll?? Oh and some chips.

Just wondering what the price difference is compared to round here.

I would say for that meal I'd have to pay about £9 on average.

I would have to tell you there's little or no chance of getting that meal for under a tenner(including the chippies) at my place or anywhere in Brimingham, and it's + 1 quid delivered!! haha.

I would have to tell you there's little or no chance of getting that meal for under a tenner(including the chippies) at my place or anywhere in Brimingham, and it's + 1 quid delivered!! haha.

Rip off!!!! :lmfao:
And I'd get all that delivered to my door for free. WITH some courtesy crackers too!!

My usual place does a set meal of... check this out..... Regular special fried rice, ANY one chicken/pork/beef dish, and a mahhoooosssive spring roll with little prawns in it..... all for £6.40.
Ok, I've got to pay a pound to have that meal delivered, but still a bargain!

I'm staying in London! :yum:

I can understand the £1 delivery charge, which I would gladly pay, even if they dropped a portion of chips over...

There are alot of takeaways near me, but they wont deliver unless its over £8, which is a bit of a mission as its only me and my wife , and the food is so cheap its often hard to order that much without wastage, and i dont like to waste food!!

Also, with the little one, its difficult, as if the missus has gone out and im looking after him, I dont really want to get him all ready and out to grab a quick bite.

As an example, we have places by us that do a burger meal for £2!!!

So if it meant I had to pay a quid to have that delivered I would gladly do so, just for the convenience factor.

Oh joe, im really craving a takeaway now.. Infact.. im thinking of taking a trip to yours but i promise i wont ask for anything free haha! People are like that man! Even where i work (Boots) they always ask, "what else do i get with that" and the only thing i can say is, "your change, if that?" Just look past it, because they wont stop going to you!! £1 delivery is cheap! I went to sheffield to see my mrs and got a chinese takeaway and cost me £2.50 delivery charge even though i bought £15 worth of food!!! I think alot of people take £1 for granted so whats £1 delivery? Its a bargain! :)

TBH Joe, we pay a quid down here, and all you need to say is you couldnt post the takeaway for less than that, at least you deliver it in time and its hot still. sod em !

Cheeky twats! I'm all up for free prawn crackers when i make a massive order, but that just seems the norm. I wouldn't ask though, and if I ever did...i'd accept the NO reply i'd get. And JoJo, I think we should have a forum trip to your establishment, i'm getting hungry now!! mmmmm

Although, is delivery to Huddersfield still just £1? If so, i'll put an order through tonight haha

Haha, thanks for your support guys, the reason why I started the thread was because I employ a lady to take the orders, and the stupid customer demanded to speak to the manager about this, so I told her straight that the delivery charge was written in black and white on the menu, and that no one else complains about the charge!

Her reply was ' We've spent over ten pounds on food, and delivery isn't free?!', I gave a a straight(and firm) 'NO' to her, to which she didn't seem to understand the meaning of the word! lol. Then she went on one and said do I not care about her business(at the point she asked, she was 100% correct, I didn't give a damn about about her trade, she could have gone somewhere else for all I care), but I kept my cool and replied 'of course I care, but it doesn't mean I have to give your free delivery'.

It went on for a few minutes of course.... I'm sure most of you know where I'm coming from.

The joys of running a fast food joint.... I should write a book on this, it would make me millions, and it still won't be free delivery! :moa:

Last edited:
Rule 1 of ordering food from somewhere.

Don't **** off the guy who prepares your food.......:yes: