1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some n00bish questions I couldnt find answers for

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Grangey., May 23, 2011.

1. Grangey.

Grangey. Member

[May 23, 2011]
    Hi all,

My civic is up for sale at the moment and whilst im waiting for some interest I am forever checking too see what B6's are up for sale.

Now what im looking for is a 1.9tdi sport, but I have some questions which im hoping will assist my search in the future.

Double din capable:

Was the double din capability a standard feature in certain models (ie the SE) , or was it simply you had the choice at purchase of single din cd player, 6 cd player (double din), and RNS-E (double din)?

DIS:
    Do all a4 b6's come with a proper on board computer, that will do everything from brakelight checks to giving my mpg readings? The reason I ask is in some pictures I see the DIS showing a picture of which car doors are open-which kind of looks like a static image, and others with proper mpg readins etc which you can tell you can scroll through-and they both looked kind of different.

Colour DIS:
    Am I right in thinking this was only availible as an optional extra with the RNS-E purchased? Or could you get a colour DIS dispite not having an RNS-E?

Xenons:
    Did all B6s come equiped with headlights ready for Xenons/ Xenons fitted (ie the projector part)?

Id really apprecaite having the above cleared up :)

Now the more personal preference question and asking what you would do.

I would have quite a limited budget of 5.5k and im abit drawn over what I would do, so if you were in my postion what would you do?

Would you:
    a) spend the whole budget and get the lowest milage standard model you can get- that it means and resale it would be worth more given more attractive miles- but slow/limit future spend in the way of modifcations (could take another year to get the car how i want it)
    b) try and get a standard example at around 4k with as low miles as possible (say sub 95k), and spend the outstanding £1500 on the mods you want- mapping, sline kit, wheels, etc.
    c) save yourself the money on modding yourself and get one with it all already done, but with potentially higher miles (say circa 125k+)

I know engine wise as long as its been well maintained the engines will be bulletproof for many years to come, but im just concerned of how difficult it may be in the future to sell my car with 150k+ miles (assuming i purchased one with say 125k on the clocks), but I know it would work out a fair bit cheaper buyign an a4 with the mods I want already done and I just cant decide what to do...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Grangey
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[May 23, 2011]
    Hi there...

Double din was down to what audio system was specc'd at the factory, predominantly single din.

All B6's have a lowline DIS, shows doors open/mileage left in tank/certain warning symbols etc. Full DIS was and option on most cars, depends on year, some of the later ones would have had it fitted as standard with spec upgrades...

Colour DIS was factory fit only with RNS-E, have yet to even see one fitted...

All B6's have projector style lights....

With regards to prices, the only thing to remember with these as they are a bit old now, and will need various bits and pieces replacing, so far in the last 3 months I have spent the following

£300 new front and rear windscreens (badly chipped/marked)
    £300 Pads/discs/flexi hoses all round (DIY)
    £130 rear anti roll bar
    £1500 2 x CV joints, 2 x track rod ends, certain suspension arms, 4 wheel alignment, gearbox mount

and that's before I pay for a service and MOT this month, plus since I bought the car last year I have also spent £500 on a cambelt change and another £700 on other suspension arms... that's before all the little bits and pieces like wiper arms/blades, wiper motors, mats etc....and don't get me started on the mods...

Ideally if you can find one that has had a recent cambelt and all the suspension arms changed, this is the major big bill items that tend to go, I don't want to put you off but they can cost a bit to run, great cars though and I wouldn't swap my car for anything, yes it's cost me a chunk of money in the last 12 months but I will be running it for at least another 5 years so it will all balance out, I bought a cheap one knowing it needed a bit of TLC, but I got a quattro sport privately for the price of a SE from a garage, and I would still probably have had to replace the above as they are all wear and tear items...

Hope this helps...
  4. Grangey.

Grangey. Member

[May 23, 2011]
    Thanks jb that was really helpful :)

Kind of suprised actually about all of your expendature, I was certainly going to go for one with a recent cambelt change (in line with service history as well), and appreciated that things like brakes may need changing (like any car really) but thinks like track rod ends and suspention arms would never have crossed my mind, and £1500 is a different ball game to the odd few hundred here and there for maintainance stuff.

What sort of milage is yours that needed all that doing? Is there a common type of rule when things like track rod ends and mounts will go at certain milage?

Thanks

Grangey
  5. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[May 23, 2011]
    i have the 1.9tdi sports on a 52 plate had it for nearly 2years now and aprt from the normal tyers brake pads and oil changes its not cost me any thing touch wood it stays that way too oh and its now on 145k want to buy it lol
  6. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 23, 2011]
    the colour dis on the b6 came with the rns-D E was fitted to B7 but you can retro in to b6
    you can add dis easy if not fitted and cruise aswell
    and you can stick hids in any houseing
    projectors are better tho
    colour dis can be fitted but you need the full cluster
    if you can find 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  7. Grangey.

Grangey. Member

[May 23, 2011]
    Ah that would explain that then! thanks for that! Although I still havnt really got a clue what the rns-e's fully capabilities are and what the other models do (like the rns-d) in comparison!

Yeah i noticed the retrofit and it is something im interested in (or maybe get this instead DYNAVIN.CO.UK 7" HD AUDI RNS-E A4 S4 SAT NAV IPOD | eBay UK as I was a little put off when i read the rns-e doesnt do full postcode navigation (unless ive misheard?!)) which is why i figured i may make my life easier getting a b6 which is already double din ready- rather than having to rip the centre console out and replace it etc.

I noticed that sharks did the cruise control and DIS (and even colour i think) conversions- but I have a feeling they wouldnt exactly be the cheapest things to get done... would love to hear if this wasnt the case though?
  8. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 23, 2011]
    the dis and cruise ir cheap
    the colour retro aint so cheap unless you find a second hand 1
    in around 5 years iv only found 2 that fit the petrol models
    the s4 and rs4 just dont work and the diesels cluster dont
  9. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[May 23, 2011]
    My cars done 104K and the suspension/rarb/track rods/cv joints I've replaced were all original factory items, so after 9 years and 100K I can't really complain........

If you can get something with history then these may have been done previously at some point, defo worth checking out, but just to re-iterate my car had not been particularly well looked after by previous owner so I knew I was going to have to spend some money on it, however I did get it for 2K less than anything comparable at the time...

I know that I won't need any suspension work for the remainder of time I own this, plus I prefer to get everything done at the same time, rather than just the parts that need replacing.....
  10. Grangey.

Grangey. Member

[May 24, 2011]
    bez thanks for clarifying, and of corse i forgot about the whole petrol vs deisel cluster point!

Good to know on the prices though, I had a look on shark performances website and youre right theyre not expensive to do at all really which is good to know :)

jbcalvin thanks for clarifying that, despite me looking for a minter its still good to know what thinks can go wrong around that milage so I can check for it at inspection :)

Thanks everyone for your help, now I just have to wiegh up the pros and cons of getting a std low milage, or already modded with higher milage... but as my civic hasnt sold yet i have plenty of time to worry about that!