1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Idiots out there

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by MattW86, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MattW86

MattW86 Member

Afternoon guys,

just went for a drive in my motor to which i was surprised to find a circular bit of plastic or card blocking the trip window on my dash and a lovely yellow EML light lit up. I cannot believe the lengths people go to, to f$*k others over.

Unfortunately i have owned said motor since march last yr and in that time it has been in for a full service with cambelt and pump in which no faults were displayed. (rant over)

Now i have to go about the task of removing the circular invader and find out why the light is on. Looks like a lovely day off anywho.

Any advice on removal on the dash cluster would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Matt
  2. coyle

coyle From Show... to GO

when i got my s3, turning the ESP off didnt turn on a light.
    so i took the clocks out and there was some black tape covering it.

It turned out to be a dead MAF :)
  3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

I know this wont help you, but you should always check all warning lights come on with the ignition when purchasing a new car, i think it is quite common for this to happen or bulbs removed...
  4. MattW86

MattW86 Member

well just had the instrument cluster out and found a black bit of cardboard, had a check just in case there were any others lurking about aswell.

Engine management light now comes on as standard and turns off when car started. I take your point S3Dave, i did check at time of purchase and everything lit up from memory.

(Mods can close this if they see fit, my anger and frustration have be quelled)

Cheers

Matt
  5. olcoholic

olcoholic New Member

Anyone got any directions on how to remove the instrument cluster? I have a amk 2002 s3 and I haven't an owners manual. Not had the car long and I had been wondering where on the dash the engine management light lives as I've not seen it displayed
  6. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

daft question, but how have you owned the car for a year now and not previously noticed a bit of card inside the cluster? I think that's brilliant :p

I need to do the tape mod on my airbag light to get the bugger hidden. Even with the controller and all bags removed it still lights up like a christmas tree!
  7. TheButtonz

TheButtonz Member

deleted due to me being a dufus!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Probably need to decode a module on the car thats thinking its got airbags still or even seatbelt recognition.
  9. MattW86

MattW86 Member

the piece of card only dislodged itself yesterday to be fair, i wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't. Now getting EML light on after car started which is annoying as MOT due soon.

Olcholic - you need to drop the steering wheel to the lowermost point from which you can remove the cover plate below the cluster ( pull it back towards where your sitting). from there you can see 2 star head screws holding the cluster in place.

remove the 2 screws and start to slide the cluster from the bottom out of the housing, I had 3 connectors to disconnect should be the same for you. The furthermost connector is a biatch to get as very little clearance. Viola one cluster removed. Unfortunately mate i didn't take any pics of the removal only of the cluster on its own.

ATB

Matt

(Mods thanks for the thread edit :thumbsup:)
  10. olcoholic

olcoholic New Member

Thanks Matt.

Much appreciated...I'll give this a bash asap!

Cheers.
  11. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

From reading this, i will attempt to remove my dash clocks, see whats loose behind there. I removed the ones on my mk 4 golf, not a hard job just fidderly
  12. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

A airbag warning light on won't actually fail an MOT, but if it doesn't show on preignition, that's a fail.