1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some idiot reversed in to my car...

J_V_DUB Mar 11, 2012

  1. J_V_DUB

    J_V_DUB Member

    Hello chaps,

    Had a pizza delivery guy reverse in to my car yesterday. He had a trailer hook and it went straight in to my bumper, there's a very small hair line crack and the front bumper is slightly bent in under the number plate and when pressed on there's a squeek and a bit of a rattle.

    Now the pizza place owner want to sort it out cash in hand but I don't know what to ask for, I said to him I'll go to a body shop and ask for a quote but I don't want to delay it and can't get a day off during the week until late next week so I would appreciate any help. Looking on ebay there isn't much in terms of split grill bumpers in akoya silver which really makes it even more confusing as to how much would it cost to get it sorted.

    Any help will be appreciated.

  2. Cruiser89

    Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

    It all depends on how you go about it...

    I would take it to a bodyshop to get an estimate and then once you know the costs, just ask the owner for that much. It's a lot quicker than going through your insurance sometimes.

    If you go through insurance it will be noted as a "claim" even though its not your fault. When it comes to renewal you have to declare it and it will affect your premium.

    Iv recently gone through all of this. I rang Direct line back in 2010 for some advice. I didn't proceed as got it sorted through other means, however, when I went to change to Admiral, it was picked up on the national database of claims. Got sacked with an increase of £200 even though a) I didn't finalise any claim and b) it wasn't my fault. When I spoke to DL about this they said it shouldn't affect any insurance but it clearly did.
  3. Chris Handscombe

    Chris Handscombe New Member

    call audi and get a quote for a bumper followed by a quick call to a local body shop. Give him the total cost and then spend the cash elsewhere if you don't notice it! ;)
  4. hades-

    hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

    depends on how bad it is post a pic
    but id say 200 repaired and painted
  5. shariain

    shariain Well-Known Member

    It's not so much the damage you can see its more what you can't see. Modern bumpers are designed to flex so there could be some damage behind the bumper that isn't visible until you take the bumper off or have a right good look behind it.

    I had the same sort of problem with Vw passat the bumper looked not to badly damaged but the cross member was bent really bad to the point it was touching the radiator but you couldnt see it until you had a right good look behind the bumper.

    So don't take any chances with the cost as it could end up costing you money if you get it wrong.
  6. willowsdad

    willowsdad Sideways

    Don't risk it mate. Report it before its too late. I had a pizza boy crash into my old car, turns out he wasn't insured and he gave me fake details. My company had it fixed straight away and it never affected my premium. He's probably not insured and the manager doesn't want any trouble coming back to his doorstep. If you don't report it and he doesn't pay you, you haven't got a leg to stand on.
  7. NHN

    NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

    Had some twat in london smack my missus rear cmax car door today, when I was loading some parts, ***** drove of, stopped for a short while, then drove of thinking I hadnt got there info, but have witness & plate/car info, problem is, its not worth ringing insurance as you say, we get fecked anyway even if its not our fault & they claim of others insurance, I mean wtf is the point of insurance if we fear for claiming as we dont want higher renewals.

    I know my guys will sort the damage as door is fine just bent edge, but its still an expense I dont need.
  8. Sheikh

    Sheikh Member

    Go to an accident management company they go direct to the third party insurer to get your money. Your insurance company aren't even told.

    Had an accident a year ago now and this is the route I went down, was totally hassle free. Received a cheque from the third party insurers for the damage to my car.
  9. Cruiser89

    Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

    I agree... 3rd party all the way!
    Sheikh likes this.
  10. Lund

    Lund Member

  11. SAiLO

    SAiLO Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

    J_V_DUB - sorry to hear that, I feel your pain. The 3rd party accident management company sounds reasonable, but must say I've never dealt with any of those companies.
    Might be worth doing some research.
  12. Scott

    Scott Well-Known Member

    That's sh!t Nige, I'd report it to the police even if you don't report to insurance, especially as you have a witness.
  13. audigex

    audigex Active Member

    I'd report it straight away tbh - I had a similar event with a guy reversing a Volvo into my first car. Damage looked light (cracked rear cluster, a bulb gone and a few scrape marks) but I ended up with nearly a whole new rear end, over £1,000 worth of damage all told - plus I wouldn't have had my car for a week while it was in the bodyshop, so I needed the hire car too.
  14. NHN

    NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

    Cant be assed tbh mate, why waste my time on it when all they will do is file it, I can get it fixed for small amount, so just have to accept its 1 of those days of complete tossers.
  15. amr79

    amr79 Member

    Hi, being in the fast business myself, you will probably find whilst the delivery driver was insured he was probably not covered for business use. This is why they want to settle in cash.

Share This Page