Some help with Head on AFN 1.9TDi

evomaster3000

Reaction score
Right My 1.9TDi lump is on 170k going fine but is in need of some TLC, It's sounding very tappy from 1 or 2 tappets.

Got a number of options don't know what to do really

Basicially, can these tappets be shimmed? If so is it worth it or rull recon of head.

2nd the Cam? thats not included in recon, so will have to see how worn it is, any ideas how much for a new/recon one?

If i get the head off i'll check the condition of the barrel/piston.

New oil helps with the Tapping and only when fresh quiten's it right down, but don't really want to go doing oil changes every month!

Any help much appreciated, just my diesel sounds like a wreck with some belt squeaking and the tapping!

I would do a compression test first to see if they are still within spec. If they are, just fit new genuine lifters/tappets and a fresh oil/filter change. I would hawever pull the head and renew the valve stem seals and re-lap the valves in and clean all the gunk/soot as well ! If you need to renew the cambelt, i would do that prior to fitting it and also throw in a new water pump with metal impeller.Cost all parts should not be more than 350 quid. All parts needed are: head gasket, head bolts, 8x lifters, 8x valve stem seals, cambelt kit, water pump, aux. drive belt and AC belt-if fitted. Camshafts are very tough on the VE engines and i have seen 400Miles engines with no excesive vear on the lobes. Fit a new set of glowplugs as well and you should not touch the engine for another 4-5 years !

Fantastic stuff, thanks for that, now i know how much dollar it'l cost and what i'll need to do.

Will defo get a compression test done first, hopefully all ok seems good and i don't thrash it, and only use it 6 months of the year and do 5k mile services on it.

Ok after spending a day getting the inlet and exhaust manifold and turbo off, gonna clean out the turbo etc, but more to the point, the inlet manifold!

It was lined very full of crap, well oil and carbon deposits, basicially not helping the flow of air and took me ages to de-coke it all using just about every cleaner i had! Which definatly indicates the head's gotta be cleaned out to.

Anyone any experience stripping one off and is there a drain point for the coolant as i'm sure the rad n from end has gotta come out to do the job and i wanna save as much coolant as possible as it's not cheap stuff and it's still the clear yellow colour so it's all good still.