1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help in deciding what to do

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Bong Water, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    I have a mint A4 B5 1.8TQS on a 2000 on 55K miles, its a nice car and I love it when I am driving it, it has comprehensive history and I have spent around £800 in servicing and I bought the car in December.

I am trying to decide if its worth modding or saving the money to put toward a newer shape, I really like the B6 shape A4, its my fave shape Audi and I am unhappy with the colour and look of my car at present.

If I kept my car I would want wheels, remap, Forge TIP, and an exhaust system, thats getting into serious money on a car that I am not happy with looks wise. which I could put toward a B6

Am I being stupid?! Should I be grateful I have a great example and mod it or should I save the money and put it toward a better base that I will be happier with, it would probably take me a year or so to save the cash and will power required to not spend it on my current car will be great but I reckon I could do it!

What do you guys think?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Whats the difference in price between a b6 1.8tqs and a b5 average ?
  4. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Good question, I would want around an 04 model so approx £8K

I would value my car (this is using Auto Trader and other examples of the same car) at around £5K

Cost to change = £3K
  5. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    So maybe its worth the upgrade to somthing that you would prefurr and not worth spending any money on what you have.
  6. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    It would seem that way, the cost of an MS Design kit and a set of 18's then a remap, inc exhaust and some other bits would equal the cost to change.
    Only thing that puts me off is the amount of money I have spent on this car and the fact that it is a low mileage and good condition car and my sensible head tells me I am being stupid to be thinking of selling it, I think its time to get saving!
  7. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

[Mar 11, 2008]
    i didnt like the colour of mine when i got it but it now i love it as not many have the colour i do.

and if you want a exhaust come see me mate will sort you a mint one out done **** loads of a4's now

craig
  8. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Cheers ill consider an exhaust if I keep it, I would consider keeping it if an MS Design kit come up cheap, it massivly improves the look of the car. in the mean time I am going to be saving hard
  9. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    I love the B6 shape as well but i cant nock the fact that my B5 cost me 1900 quid and the B6 will be another 7-8K for what i would like, so im sticking with as spending the money bit by bit as and when. If you would like the B6 you are always going to be saying oh i wish i had one of those so its your choice :)
  10. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    I have just had a look on autotrader and there are some b6 1.8T qs on there for 5k
  11. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Yeah they are earlier ones and I would really want to seek out a low mileage mint example as I always do, I would want as late as possible too and I couldnt justify changing right now, I simply couldnt afford it. I want to wait 6 months at least, I think I am going to save for a B6 and go on a couple of holidays this year instead of pissing around with cars like I did last year and left myself skint.

When did the B6 go out of production?
  12. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 11, 2008]
    I prefer the B5 shape, i must be sad,lol

Isnt there a MS design rear in the classifieds?
  13. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Yes there is, collection only though and I dont need the bumper.

Dont get me wrong I like the B5 shape too, I just dont really like the colour of mine, looks great when polished and waxed, brings out a bronze tint, but when dirty, it looks like a freshly laid dog turd on wheels. I really like the B6 shape, the 1.8T with Votex kit and twin exhausts is horny and I want one :(
  14. macca

macca Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    first of all have you driven/ been in the b6? wouldn't even think about making a decision until then just in case there is a surprise dislike.

i think from what yo are saying i'd be tempted towards buying a b6, as you say you prefer that shape, money put into b6 wouldn't be lost like it would be modding a b5.

i know i'm a fine one to talk though after buying my b5 for £500 and spending probably nearly £9k on it.
  15. Bong Water

Bong Water In two minds

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Aye good points there, I am assuming it would be the same to drive, best find a local one and take it for a spin. Also you are right, I want to settle with a long term car and i dont feel like my B5 is "the one" I do have a nasty habit of getting bored very quickly