Some advice for a friend

Bigbang

Reaction score
My friend was allegedly seen by the police in their review (no rear dash cam) booting it to get past a light before it went red, and the light went red just as he passed through it. Speed down to 30mph again after he passed, they tried to make him admit speeding but he didn’t admit it, they wrote him up for the red light offence but not for speeding. Threatened if he tried to contest it they’d write a report for speeding also. Told him CCTV covered the light around the area but not actually showing what colour it was

Can they change their mind in what to prosecute him for after issuing a NIP?

Can the CCTV be used to prove speeding?

I reckon they are trying it on , were they Traffic officers ?and did they have any speed detector machine or is it two against one >

Sounds like a load of rubbish, CCTV can't prove the speed. Depends on the officer you get as well but does this person go into an aggressive defensive c0cky mode when questioned as I've been pulled for the same reason but the officer just said please don't speed up through the light in future, heck I've been cought street racing and all sorts but must just have a way with words.

I asked I asked him what car it was and he said a smallish SUV so I’m assuming they’re traffic officers.. he didn’t mention any equipment, but they were driving the opposite direction are were s bit behind him when they spotted him speed up so I doubt anything could work that way? just that they were trying to get him admit to the light, said he explained he was late for work and apologised but they weren’t having it...

I said I don’t think they can change their mind on what they can do you for after a tickets written but I may be wrong?

Hi mate. Speeding needs corroborating evidence from things such as fitted equipment to the police car but this is only really possible if they’re following directly behind or using a speed gun. The red light issue can be prosecuted from the officers witness account alone. The NIP can’t get changed as such but further offences can be added or a further NIP can be given up to 6 months after the actual offence. CCTV can tectonically price speeding but would only normally be analysed if the offence had resulted in something more serious like an injury RTC. He could take his chances at court but if he’s guilty then he may be better just taking the points. Unlikely I would suggest whatever plea he puts in any further offences will be added given the info you’ve provided.