Soft Touch Indicators (Komfort Blinken)

M1ke H

Reaction score
The S3 went back to the dealer yesterday for a couple of niggly issues to be sorted - primarily the door rattle, but also to see if the soft touch indicators could be disabled (ie disable the 3 flashes on touching the stalk). This functionality irritates me immensely.

I've posted about the rattle in another thread, and although it was OK last night, I'm not convinced it hasn't re-appeared today, although it is nowhere near as troublesome.

However, to the point of this thread, the dealer has told me that their Master Tech was convinced the Komfort Blinken could be done, but then couldn't find any settings in MMI (I know!), nor in any adaption settings in VCDS. They apparently sent a technical note to Audi who confirmed back that this was in fact the case.

I'm slightly puzzled by this as I'm sure I have read that it can be done, although I can't now find it (grrr), and whilst it was initially rogrammed on my last two SEAT's, I had it disabled through VAGCOM. I know that the two systems are different, but it does seem strange that it's now not do-able on a VAG car.

Can anyone shed any further light on this or suggest a way to disable this please?

Thanks in anticipation :)

It can be done in VCDS as I've set mine to 4. I can't remember exactly where it was, but it definitely is in there.

It can be done in VCDS as I've set mine to 4. I can't remember exactly where it was, but it definitely is in there.
Thanks for that. If there's any possibility for anyone to give me some specific details, that would be really really great. Thanks :)

I think this may be what you are looking for. I found this in the Golf Gti forum (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.80) item number #82

Yes, it's in the adaptation channels in the central electronics module - (2) - Turn Signal Controls. Default is 3, add can be set as high as 5 flashes.

The default is three but I don't know if it can be changed to 0.

Reactions: M1ke H
Personally, I find that facility extremely useful! When changing lanes I can just tap the indicator and not have to hold it on and switch it off after making the manoeuvre. It's one of the things I've commented on when telling people what I really like about the A3. :)

Reactions: simboti19, constvoid, CHEZ and 1 other person
Yep, I love the 3 blink lane change feature too.

Reactions: simboti19
It's pretty much standard in most modern cars these days, I find it very useful too. As above, there is a VCDS setting to change the number of blinks - though whether setting it to 0 disables it is another question.

Why would you wanna rid it? Love the 3 blinks when indicting a lane change on the motorway as it coincides with my actual lane change maneuver (guess it's supposed to) and from the rear with led indicators it looks quite graceful

Thanks for your help and comments guys - especially h5djr. I'll take a copy of your screen shot into the dealer and see what they say!

Personally I find the three blinks an irritation :)

If a situation arises where eg you are in lane two of a three lane dual carriageway and are coming up behind a slower vehicle overtaking, say, a truck in lane one. A mirror check, car approaching in lane three, but plenty of room, indicate to move out only to find the slower car in lane two has actually started to move into lane one. Cancel the indicator almost immediately, only to find it gives another two blinks, really confusing the car in lane three, who has maybe backed off, for no apparent reason.

Not a frequent occurrence, but very annoying, as are any misleading signals :)

I'll keep you posted as soon as I speak to the dealer - although I'm surprised that the Master Tech couldn't find it!

Edit: As a PS, I'm quite happy to set it to '1', for one flash! I suspect, if in fact it is even possible, setting it to zero may disable the indicators :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't care if it confuses anyone else mate, my seat currently does it and I love the feature

Thanks for your help and comments guys - especially h5djr. I'll take a copy of your screen shot into the dealer and see what they say!

If a situation arises where eg you are in lane two of a three lane dual carriageway and are coming up behind a slower vehicle overtaking, say, a truck in lane one. A mirror check, car approaching in lane three, but plenty of room, indicate to move out only to find the slower car in lane two has actually started to move into lane one. Cancel the indicator almost immediately, only to find it gives another two blinks, really confusing the car in lane three, who has maybe backed off, for no apparent reason.

I would have thought the instances whereby you need to indicate briefly to change lanes on a motorway would far outweigh the scenario you are describing here.

If you have that situation... just pause in lane 3 for a bit then go back to lane 2.

Or, when you go to 'correct' the signal, if you hold the lever just that bit longer, it acts as an older car would and just keeps them on for the duration of you holding it - eg, if you actually hold the stalk down or up for one whole flash (on/off) rather than tapping it, THEN let go, it'll cancel straight away.

Reactions: simboti19 and mjcourtney
If said driver is confused then he should look more than the car in front of him on the road and see what is happening...

But anyway, you shouldn't be doing any manoeuvre causing the driver in lane 3 to back off... if he needs to, then your correct action would have been to slow down behind the overtaking car in the middle lane and wait until the car in the third lane had passed so it was safe for you to pull out without causing anyone to slow down.

Yes, the value can be changed in VCDS from 1-5. I have mine on 5.....

I was considering changing mine to 5 but actually I think it works well on 3. I can't stand drivers who take 200 years to change lane...

Not a frequent occurrence, but very annoying, as are any misleading signals :)

I'll keep you posted as soon as I speak to the dealer - although I'm surprised that the Master Tech couldn't find it!

Edit: As a PS, I'm quite happy to set it to '1', for one flash! I suspect, if in fact it is even possible, setting it to zero may disable the indicators :D

The problem may be that dealers do not use VCDS. They have their own Audi diagnostic equipment which is not the same. A lot of the changes that are made to the 8V in particular are now done by connecting the car to the central Audi computers in Germany. The necessary code is then downloaded directly into the cars systems. If a particular option is not available this way they will probably not be prepared to make any changes.

The problem may be that dealers do not use VCDS. They have their own Audi diagnostic equipment which is not the same. A lot of the changes that are made to the 8V in particular are now done by connecting the car to the central Audi computers in Germany. The necessary code is then downloaded directly into the cars systems. If a particular option is not available this way they will probably not be prepared to make any changes.

Sorry, but just for clarification, are you saying that dealers are possibly not using VCDS and that in this situation changes would have to be downloaded from Germany? Presumably anyone (dealer or otherwise) with access to VCDS would be able to do this then? Depending on what my dealer says later, I suppose I may have to find a local VCDS guru :)

Sorry, but just for clarification, are you saying that dealers are possibly not using VCDS and that in this situation changes would have to be downloaded from Germany? Presumably anyone (dealer or otherwise) with access to VCDS would be able to do this then? Depending on what my dealer says later, I suppose I may have to find a local VCDS guru :)

I believe Audi use something different that has a constant connection to Ingoldstadt, VCDS is more of a consumer product.

Reactions: cemerson
Just by way of an update - had a call from the dealer yesterday confirming that they were not able to change this setting. The Master Tech had logged the issue with Audi Technical, but the answer came back no, not possible due to, the issue of the Ingoldstadt connection.

They did confirm that I was welcome to get it done 'externally', and that this would have no impact on the warranty. They also cautioned that in the event of any software upgrade or reflash, it might lose the new setting.

Off now to see if i can find someone local with the necessary......

i like mine, i use the soft touch indicator all the time on the motorway

Just seems more and more that Audi are totally incapable of doing anything to their own cars, it's madness really! It's so easily done with VCDS.

Just to close this out - I've just got back from a man with VCDS....

Whilst trying to re-code the Komfort-Blinken it's become apparent that the minimum setting is '2'.
When setting to '1' the system defaults to '5', and zero is not accepted :audibash:. Nett result I've reduced it from '3' to '2'. Not the result I wanted, but a move in the right direction!

I also took the opportunity to have the Oil Temperature set to display on all DIS menus :)

Thanks to all on this and other threads for your various thoughts and inputs :)

Just seems more and more that Audi are totally incapable of doing anything to their own cars, it's madness really! It's so easily done with VCDS.

It quite possible that with all the extra electronic items on the latest Audi's they have decided it is better to do it with a direct internt link direct to the factory rather than replace all the existing diagnostic available to dealers.

When I had the extra menu added to my A3 at an After Sales Evening at my dealers for setting the default distance on the ACC it was fascinating to watch. A dongle was attached to the diagnostic port on my car and then a few clicks later it was connected to a menu system in Ingolstadt. The options were chosen and my car's system was updated in less than a minute. The Master Tech doing the process said that this is how nearly all settings are changed these days. He said it does give them access to many more settings than their previous systems or VCDS.

It also means that Audi can keep some control over the settings that are used on their cars which may well be related to the USA compensation culture which seems to spreading rapidly to the UK.

The reason for the internet link is so they can centralise and lock everything down. I don't think it's to do with ease of use at all. It's a shame - most of the technology world (Apple aside) is embracing more and more openness with devices and interoperability, but car manufacturers seem to be going backwards in this respect.

I can understand not wanting to make it easy for everyone to fiddle with things and cause expensive warranty work, but there are things that should be able to be done that have no bearing on component wear or anything like that, that seem like they should be easy to do.

I can only go by the conversation I had with the Master Tech at my dealers (Who I have known for many years). Whilst he was doing the changes to my menu system he said that the new system was very much easier and quicker than the method they used before.

I'm not saying it's not easier - just that I don't think that was the main motive to switch to a new system. One of the tech's at Nottingham was describing to me the system as well, and how it's all becoming more and more locked down to try and stop people making too many changes.