1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft top problems, please lower storage box

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Iadejusto, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Iadejusto

Iadejusto Member

Just tried to lower my soft top because a friend wanted to see what it looks like.
    It didn't move when I tried, message came up saying please lower storage box. I went round to the boot and moved the lever to the right, which is what I think the storage box is.
    Then tried it again and the windows came half down and the hood just opened, it wouldn't go any further than that.

any suggestions?
  2. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

scan with vcds
    a sensor will have packed in or needs reseting
    look in your book and do a manual open and close this should reset it
  3. Iadejusto

Iadejusto Member

okay, so it shouldn't be anything serious then?
  4. countax

countax New Member

You might have the classic 'stuck brushes in your hood motor' problem. Basically the latches on the windscreen unlock and the storage lid lifts up an inch, then nothing. The process to free off the motor brushes is well documented on here and will allow your motor to start running again. If you have a reasonable DIY capability its a low cost way of potentially fixing this problem If you are not able to do this then you might want to consider sending the motor to the guy who advertises on the well known auction website. Look on there for 'Audi motor repair'......I have no connection to this person, although i did send him my motor yesterday as i have tried the above process a few times and each time the fix only lasts a few weeks, so i decided i might have more than just a stuck brush problem with my motor. If that does not work then as suggested try a VCDS scan to see if its a sensor problem. In my case i have a VCDS tester and no sensor faults show up when the roof failed to open.
    Good luck.
    Nigel