Soapy Water Trick

luke2702

Reaction score
While doing some logs the other night, noticed that when flooring it from 2000rpm's it got to about 2750rpm's then raised to about 3000 rpm's with no speed alteration then dropped. Did 4 logs and each time did it.

Then did a standing start with no issues!!!! :think:

I have read on Seat Cupra net about the soapy water trick, what they say do is pour approximately 4 litres of hot soapy water into the clutch (through the inspection hole) while the engine is running, allow it to drain and then take for a drive to dry it up. This is suppost to clean the plates in case there is oil of other matter on them.

Has anyone tried this on here?

Thanks

I once saw the same thing done with coke on a golf at york raceway.
I personaly understand the theory BUT not sure i would ever try it

I once saw the same thing done with coke on a golf at york raceway.
I personaly understand the theory BUT not sure i would ever try it

yeah heard about it with coke, but soapy water seems to be the one they are using on SCN...

It will remove the grease/ oil that may have glazed up the clutch. BUT if you have oil or grease on there its come from somewhere... so will return.
If the only other option is replacing the clutch / flywheel and release bearing...

May be worth a go.

The car i saw this done on was a mk2 golf with a non hydralic set up... this may come into play

The car i saw this done on was a mk2 golf with a non hydralic set up... this may come into play

In what way do you think it will come it to play??? It may have oil in there because it has no cover over the inspection hole, so would also get one of these to cover hole.

Im not sure how the seals of the hubcentric release bearing would stand up to stuff like this...
But i assume the SCN lads have the same kind of set up you do?

Wow never heard of anything like this before :huh:

Not something i would try.

Its more of a last ditch try to get some bite back in a toasted clutch,
Lad i saw did it after his slipped on a big launch.
This and leaving it an hour seemed to work. as he had a slight gear box oil leak