1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So the BMW diesels are soooooooooooo superior to Audi's?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by coupe-se, May 22, 2008.

1. PNH80

PNH80 Low life livin' the high life.

[May 27, 2008]
    I honestly couldn't disagree with you more. Sure this is an Audi forum but it's also first and foremost a forum full of car fans. We all love cars in general and i'd imagine a very wide knowledge of all cars.
    So if an 'Audi fan' cannot listen to and accept opinions that maybe, just maybe other manufacturers may have a better product i think thats a shame.
    I genuinely love nearly everything about my A3. It suits all my needs and i wouldn't swap it for anything in the same class. I accept other cars are probably better at certain things but the A3 S-line does it for me.

Audi make some world class cars (particularly S and RS models) but to me the base models throughout the whole Audi range are dull as ditch water. It's only the sports styled models which stand out for me and it's my right to say that. I paid my money, i bought an Audi....and i'll give my opinion.
    If some one asks my honest opinion on a car i'll give it, Audi forum or not. It's pretty much accepted fact that the BMW 335d coupe is a better all round car than the A5 3.0TDI. More focused, lively drive, better engine but with a worse interior and maybe....a worse image.

No manufacturer is good at everything so it's nice to share opinions and swap ideas. Heated, passionate debate is great...bigotted, rude comments and insults aren't so as long as it's kept polite and educated and not just intended to piss off other forum goers i'm happy for people to say whatever they like about Audi. I don't want to listen to people saying everything about the brand is brilliant if it's simply not.
  2. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[May 27, 2008]
    Those two little red LED's as you put it are in fact part of an Interior Lighting Package which consists of Illuminated door openers, vanity mirrors and storage compartment, together footwell lighting, reading lights front and rear, and active door reflectors.

For the 3-series BMW offer what they call an Extended Lighting package, but their website does no tell you what this includes.

In each case you can choose to have or not.
  4. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[May 27, 2008]
    I also slagged my S3 for being boring.... I am falling in love again... ahahah

But like others said I can't see other 3door hatchback I would buy instead so quite happy with it...

Pedro
  5. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[May 27, 2008]
    I was merely pointing out that the 'boring' BMW interior does, in fact, contain some neat touches, that Audi would charge extra for (namely the roof mounted, downward pointing, LED's)
    I also have a refrigerated centre armrest, as standard.
    I was £90 for a centre armrest for my A3, and it wasn't refrigerated.
  6. h5djr

[May 27, 2008]
    But BMW like Audi charge extra for some things on some models. The armrest was standard on mine as was the interior lighting package,cruise control,light and rain sensor pack, storage pack and the auto-dimming rear view mirror. It's just a matter of deciding which model gives you what you want. Choices or options, call them what you will.
  7. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[May 27, 2008]
    Funnily enough I actually agree with what you have just said, although I cant quite see where what you have written addresses my point.

Anyway, to re-iterate, my point is the that so many threads on here end up completely off thread in the same debate with the same recyled comments, and often with very prickly undertones.

Yes I agree that a good healthy debate can keep things interesting, but every day there is another "he said/she said", "read my post again", "my car is better than your car", "AUDIs are rubbish", "BMWs are rubbish" its like being back at school.
    Im relatively new on here and maybe Im in the wrong place, Ive just not seen as much negative banter on other forums as Ive seen on here. I like to come onto forums as a bit of a distraction and engage in some decent exchanges, pick up some useful info and have some crack with like minded enthusiasts, but I like to be able to contribute without ending up the same debate each time.

Im sure this (completely of topic) post wont make a blind bit of difference. but thats my 2p.

Paul
  8. h5djr

[May 27, 2008]
    I must say I agree. I personally think a lot of this BMW is best, Audi is best type of post really belongs to a general car forum rather than one supposedly dedicated to the Audi A3-8P. I'm all for lively debate about cars, but I'm sure a lot of people come on here to try and get or give help and information about the A3 rather than to see endless 'debates' about who thinks what about other cars.

Yes some direct comparisons between different makes by all means but at least compare like with like rather than just generally one manufacturer compared with another. I always think it funny that people are always comparing the A3 with the BMW 3-series. That must be a compliment to the A3 as it's direct competitor is the 1-series rather than the 3-series.

I'm I will be shot down by those who like to argue and debate about almost everything but that's my personal view.
  9. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[May 27, 2008]
    that sums it up nicely ! yes I would put interior design over driver enjoyment, how often do you get to drive quick enough to enjoy it ? I would happily trade steering feel for a better interior, the A3 is plenty good enough for everyday driving its a good practial car that gets let out at junctions ;) if I wanted driver enjoyment I would be looking for an Elise or boxster, as it happens we also have a Puma, granted its not all that quick but for throwing about at a sensible speed its more than enough fun without risk of loosing you licence.
  10. PNH80

[May 27, 2008]
    You're bang right, i can't argue that a lot of posts on here do end in quite childish comments. Although i think some of that is due to people taking offence far far too easily, as if they physically gave birth to the car.
    Audi's are always going to get compared to BMW's and therefore the dreaded 'BMW' will always crop up in this forum when making comparisons.

I honestly don't think there is ANY daylight between the 2 companies overall so most of the arguments are just splitting hairs for the sake of it.... 'My dad's bigger than your dad'

There are some top lads (and lasses) who post on this forum so you're definitely not in the wrong place. You must have joined at the wrong time of month!
  11. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[May 27, 2008]
    :thumbsup:Affirmative.
  12. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[May 27, 2008]
    I agree, its quite interesting the A3 is compared to the 3 series not the 1 series and I too think its a complement

There you go, no shooting down too :)
  13. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[May 27, 2008]
    I presume it was sycamores, did you get as far as a PX price ? I nearly laughed when they valued my golf.
  14. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[May 28, 2008]
    Lol, no it was the one at Huntingdon, Murketts. But the interior was beige leather, which isn't my cup of tea.

I'm going to wait a few months yet Steve, maybe when my car is coming up for 3 years old, which is soon.
  15. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[May 28, 2008]
    All the time.
    One of the advantages of where I live.
  16. Nutkins

Nutkins Member

[May 28, 2008]
    Agreed - I had a Puma for a bit, great little drivers car - lovely gearbox :racer:
  17. PNH80

[May 28, 2008]
    I assume you mean the 1.7 and not the 1.4! It was the Top Gear car of the year when it was released i believe. I remember Tiff scaring the ***** out of Jeremy and Quentin on a track.
    Pretty good feat of engineering on Fords part to squeeze that out of a Fiesta...
  18. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[May 28, 2008]
    Low friction cylinder block made by Yamaha, IIRC.
  19. Matt

Matt Active Member

[May 28, 2008]
    Mother has the 1.7 Puma. Its quite chuckable, just lacking a little in power!
  20. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[May 28, 2008]
    The 1.7 Puma is powerful enough seeing as the car weighs little more than 1000kg, the handling is quality, really hold its own around corners. I just get a little embarassed when I'm at traffic lights and people see that I'm not a woman or a hairdresser...