So I thought I'd test a 135i just in case...

Seems a good write up, I was expecting the BMW to come out on top. I know looks are subjective but I really really really cant see how anyone can like the 1 series in the looks department!

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. I thought the 135i was a bit of a **** up at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it. I'm just amazed at gap in fun factor between it and the S3.

:w00t:

The 1 coupe has grown on me a little.... Can't argue on how capable it is!

The problem with the 135i is that it's not special in anyway inside...

Inside without any extras you might as well be a salesmens 3 series diesel motorway cruiser.

I looked at the 135i, don't care what he says in the article, 2 major flaws with it are, the car is ugly, especially from the side, looks like it has been crashed from certain angles when your close up to it. It is small inside, and I mean small, no leg room at all in back, cabin feels cramped, I ended up not even taking it out for a spin once I sat in it in the showroom...

Yes.. the proportions are absolutely terrible...The hatchback version looks less "wanna be a coupe" but its still about 20,000 miles off from the lines of an S3 /A3..

I dont recall anyone say the 1 series in any form was `nice` looking, but each to their own I suppose.
Personally I think its a moose in both forms, the coupe being the clumsiest looking.
In general I reckon BMW make great looking cars, amazed the 1 series was ever signed off!
IMO if want a BMW coupe then it just has to be the 3 series for me.
That said, a colleague has a 120d msport as isnt that enthusiastic about it. He likes it when its dry but finds it too twitchy and hard work in the wet.
On paper the 135 sounds epic, seems like a missed opportunity?
In fact give me that engine in an S3 and I would be a happy man.

cheers
Paul

I'm waiting for them to do a 323d Coupe. Guess they wont seen as though Alpina have effectively done it with their new D3.