So could the new RS3 be a 2.0 litre?

steeve

Reaction score
Audi have produced a TT Sport Quattro concept, with a 420bhp version of the 2.0 litre engine.
So could the new RS3 be a four cylinder 2.0 litre car?

There also seem to be many changes to the TT four wheel drive system. with the ability to make the car more rear wheel driven.

Steve

420 from a 2 litre dayum! surely there must be some strain on parts somewhere there lol

Audi have already confirmed the RS3 will use the five pot, so no.

It should really be, considering what can be extracted from a 2.0 (A45 AMG and the example you cited above).

Why use a heavy old fashioned 5 cylinder lump if a modern lightweight 4 pot can deliver sufficient power ?

I'm interested in Hondas new type r. Rumours suggest possible 350bhp and an incredibly lightweight forged block...

Honda engineering at its best I hope !

I'm interested in Hondas new type r. Rumours suggest possible 350bhp and an incredibly lightweight forged block...

Only one issue with this... it is ugly as sin

Reactions: boy1308 and Joetidman
Why use a heavy old fashioned 5 cylinder lump if a modern lightweight 4 pot can deliver sufficient power ?

Only one issue with this... it is ugly as sin

Engine transplantation into A3!!

D4B849C41AB56E7D5E4425AC60652D h498 w598 m2

:shutup2:

Autoexpress are saying 276 BHP and 400 Nm target, with 0-60 in around 6s. That would make it somewhat slower than an S3.

Styling wise it's pretty shouty. ;)

Absolutely awful!

:puke2:

I did a Honda factory tour in Swindon early this week and their was a few pics of this hanging up. The media guy we were with said it was a while off yet - maybe end of the year orders will start.

Honda engineering also looks pretty old really walking around looking at the cars. Seems like they are behind on many levels in terms of car quality, infotainment, paint etc. Not sure if new Type R could tempt me away from the German stuff.

Honda are still a drivetrain company. Engines and gearboxes rule and the rest of the experience hangs off the drivetrain.

cheap plastics, great reliability and keen pricing tempt many back and their service and customer satisfaction are undeniable.

Honda are still a drivetrain company. Engines and gearboxes rule and the rest of the experience hangs off the drivetrain.

cheap plastics, great reliability and keen pricing tempt many back and their service and customer satisfaction are undeniable.

Pretty depressing being there the other night after announcing a big redundancy program and closing one of two production lines. They are really struggling to shift product around Europe.

Agree - great engines (must admit didn't know they were up there on gearbox technology) and customer service. I hope they get some good product to market soon....all a bit sad at the moment when you actually go to the factory and talk to some employees. They know their product is way behind rivals.

Im thinking RS3 will be the 2.0 litre - can't see there is much life left in the 5 pot.

420 from a 2 litre dayum! surely there must be some strain on parts somewhere there lol

Not if you build it properly.

You will need forged pistons and rods,and decent bearing shells etc,but if you consider that mine is a daily runner with 500bhp,and has run over 440bhp for the last 3 yrs and 36 000 miles,then you can see that over 200bhp/litre is not only attainable,but reliable.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
Interesting to see more info on the Golf R Evo popping up on pistonheads and other links today.

2.0T good for 380bhp.

This is beginning to make more sense to me that the RS3 and Golf Evo could be the range topping cars for both brands and could therefore use the higher tuned 2.0 engine over the heavier 5 pot.

Hmmm...

Interesting to see more info on the Golf R Evo popping up on pistonheads and other links today.

2.0T good for 380bhp.

This is beginning to make more sense to me that the RS3 and Golf Evo could be the range topping cars for both brands and could therefore use the higher tuned 2.0 engine over the heavier 5 pot.

Hmmm...

The 2.0 engine in the Golf R/S3 has been good for that sort of power for years to be fair.

All of the Stg2+(i.e. non-big turbo) maps,will deliver around 360-370bhp with reliability over a long time,subject to good treatment such as regular oil changes etc.

The engine itself is good for 440bhp and 440lbs before needing a bottom end rebuild,and after that sort of work,good for a lot more.

The 2.5 has proved difficult to tune,and few kits exist even for the TT-RS,leaving mostly software and straightforward upgrades to take owners towards 500bhp.
The 2.0 has been there for a while.

Reactions: s3_trev
It will go down very well with the McDonalds crowd :)

Or is it the Krispy Kreme crowd these days, I can't keep up!

:lmfao:

Audi have already confirmed the RS3 will use the five pot, so no.

+1

Thats what ive heard aswell, 2ltr 4 pot in an RS3 will be a poor choice on Audis behalf imo.

the 5 cyl engine is one of the main focus points of the RS3/TTrs.

I would say they will work some magic on the block to make it lighter..

Last edited:
367bhp with 5 cylinders and a 2500 cubic capacity....

I appreciate it's an increase in performance on the old unit, but given the Merc is only 7bhp poorer with a humble 2.0 litre 4 pot I think that's a bit weak. That said, it's not always about the headline value, it's how it transfers the horses it's got onto the back stuff, and we know from the current RS3 it's very good at that.

I bet it will drive well though. Looks a serious racer rather than a conservative Eurobox. That said, a bit extreme for my tastes.

I appreciate it's an increase in performance on the old unit, but given the Merc is only 7bhp poorer with a humble 2.0 litre 4 pot I think that's a bit weak. That said, it's not always about the headline value, it's how it transfers the horses it's got onto the back stuff, and we know from the current RS3 it's very good at that.

Hopefully the claimed power is below what it really is...abit like the S4/5 :yes:

Ethier way it should map well.

Reactions: warren_S5
Anyone know if they are going to build a 3 door this time? Hopefully its not just the family wagon they roll out this time. 3 door RS3 would excite me in a big way, ultimate hot hatch.

Given the speed at which they are bringing this one out combined with RS3 Saloon pictures I've seen, I would be very surprised if they didn't...

Sportback S3 is no family wagon here just more practical .

Yes,definitely good on traction,but the problem so far(even before the latest ECU encryption) has been tuning the 2.5 RS engine.

All of the real work so far has been done on the TT-RS platform,and little if any,on the RS3,and there have been issues with both packaging and designing parts to fit,plus actually unlocking the potential in terms of power.

There are a few 550bhp+ TT-RS's around,but not many,and fewer have been trouble free.