Snowed in?

benw123

Reaction score
Got up early, checked the travel news and decided my 26-mile commute wasn't worth it today, so emailed my colleagues to say I'd be working from home. Then got an email to say they'd closed the office :D

How's everyone else doing?

Snowed in, and also 'working' from home! Up in the hills of Buxton, and tempted to go for a walk later to get some pics.
Temp is minus 3 here! Luckily I go to Hong Kong next week, and its in the 20's there, got me speedos at the ready!

Not really snowed in but still not going to work.
02022009403.jpg

no snow here either just a dusting:3sadwalk:

was no snow this morning, but was working from home today anyway so didnt matter,

but my gfriend then told me she booked her car for a service today as knew i was working from home so she was taking mine to work and now its snowing heavy.........wtf thanks lol

why couldnt she take my l200 warrior????............oh gives me a chance to go play offroad later on my mates farm lol

There wasn't that much snow this morning in the NE, but it's been forecast to get worse through the day and it was right. There's heavy snowing outside and it looks to be getting worse. I took the bus which was delayed an hour late due to the weather/road conditions. My boss couldn't come to work because he couldn't get his Merc up the bank. :whistle2:

Not really snowed in that much, but it took a while to get up the street last time it snowed. Don't have uni on Mondays so don't have to go anywhere! :p

DSC00435.jpg

Not too much this end, but it's still coming down and settling. :)

My wheels today is a 1995 Toyota Rav4 lol, who needs quaaaattro :p

All trains into London from Kent suspended until further notice. A2 into London is open, but local roads almost impassable, so no point trying to get to the A2. More snow began to fall around 10.30am, then the office emailed to say it would be closing at Midday & sending those who had made it in home.

Watched the Neil Young documentary from BBC4 last night on the BBC iPlayer instead (missed it last night).

Just been out and taken this:

P1000157.jpg

jdp1962

Well having just got the A3 back from the bodyshop I didn't fancy risking it, the Mrs has a rear wheel drive MX-5 and as we are in a small village with a couple of hills between us and the office that wouldn't have worked.

So we donned our cold weather gear and walking boots and walked into the office - took 45 minutes.

Leaving at 16:30 so that we get home before it is too dark as there aren't any streetlights or pavements on the way home.

It melted here by lunchtime, but there is a steady amount coming down now.

Paul

Its started chucking it down so tomorrow will be fun.

lol tiny bit of snow and everything comes to a stop :p

Plenty of snow where I live. Albeit not as disruptive (yet) as the previous covering in December. Knowing how sh1t the A3 is in the snow I swapped for a 1.0 polo. No bother other than slow traffic on route to work. A lot of people didn't make it in today so I got a load of work that had been mounting up completed. Drive home was fine, though parking in the street took quite a while as wheels just continued to spin in the deep snow - pleased I wasn't in the Audi as last time I had to dig two channels to get into my garage, couldn't believe how bad the A3 was. I remember when I'd not long had the A3, it was much better in the snow. So not sure what's going on there. Perhaps I just need the S3 quattro power? :think:

We'll wait and see what tomorrow brings. 80 schools have been closed across the region today.

Rob :sm4:

All trains into London from Kent suspended until further notice. A2 into London is open, but local roads almost impassable, so no point trying to get to the A2. More snow began to fall around 10.30am, then the office emailed to say it would be closing at Midday & sending those who had made it in home.
Hi mate, what about the people that could not make it in the office, will you have to use your annual leave?

my manager has emailed the team and leave has been booked for us, i suppose i should be grateful i have a job?

I spent about an hour and a half to get to work this morning, usually takes about 20 minutes. Every idiot seemed to have forgotten how to drive.

After being at work fro 15 mins or so and only 1 other person in my department turning up we were told the office was closing at 11:00 and we were to go home.

The Snow has messed my business up, delivery driver couldn't even make it here, thats 50% of my trade gone, buy one get one free today only anyone? :)

I'll have a bag of prawns crackers please

oh well if the road is blocked i ant going to try im fed up of this crap weather

Was quite a lot up here in leeds-bradford this morning... took 30 mins to get into work which is wierdly the same as usual lol.. there werent as many cars on the road but the ones which were on were very slow...

Does make driving a bit more interesting.

Forecast said it was going to chuck it down all night but havent seen any more.. cannae wait till tommorow if it chucks it down tonight

its fun got 6-8 inches and more is falling can`t wait to finish nights and get back out there. On a side note I might fill the car up with half charlies to wang at the ******* with their fog lights on *** 1 in 5 must have had them on this morning

5.33am just had a quick look outside. Not much, but its still snowing! Hope it doesn't stop.

snow.jpg

This morning I expecting a blizzard with metres of snow but no, it rained. All the snow that was here yesterday had completely vanished. I drove to work like it was a typical rainy day.

Walked in again this morning rather than risk either of the cars, had a couple of moments even by foot on the local roads, so probably made the right choice.

Base car required with skinny tyres and without the worry of hitting anything.

One thing that did make me laugh is how the 4X4 users think that they are invincible, yes you may have more traction, but you "cana defy the laws of physics" it isn't going to stop any better unless you have studied tyres or chains.

Paul

One thing that did make me laugh is how the 4X4 users think that they are invincible, yes you may have more traction, but you "cana defy the laws of physics" it isn't going to stop any better unless you have studied tyres or chains.
Paul

My old discovery did alright, it has big mud tyres on and no abs to mess things up. obviously as long as you don't accelerate or brake to hard. Haven't taken the a4 out yet as the good year f1's aren't ment to be very good on snow. but its ment to snow again the weekend

On the News it said that most of the UK have been affected. I think we're in the very minority who had no snow whatsoever, all the snow had gone and we had sunshine like it was summer.

got stuck out side the house in 10 inch of snow with black ice under it, but a bit of flipping the cars side to side and I made it on the drive :)

First of all had over 12" of snow. Finally drove to work today on 2" of ice but had to dig the car out first!! (All the snow was still there)

Just to give an indication of how mad this country has gone, surely today's snowfall is by far the heaviest of the week over here in Solihull, and it's actually still snowing as I type! But the Schools are open!!

Loads of schools closed in Aberdeenshire which I find totally pathetic. When I went to school from the mid '70s until '88 I had only 1 day when I didn't get in because it was so cold the diesel pretty much froze in the buses. These days the kids seem to be sent home at the slightest dusting

I suppose there's the other problem that if the kids were allowed to attend school and end up slipping or falling, there will be parents suing the schools and authorities for negligence and compensation. Schools also want to avoid that.

health and safety overkill, they would have had all the school out clearing snow just to stay open when I was there. Sure I played football in the snow once in PE lol