Snow/ice?

I

imported_trident21

Have you guys tried your car on snow or ice? Do you like it?
501647-PICT1495.JPG

I think it´s incredible....

I love it in the snow but we don't get snow like you!

Great picture by the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Car looks great, though I think you missed a spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

trident21, the ESP is over abusive, eats all the power away. As for car otherwise, it's been snowing now 3 days nearly non-stop, so it's about 30-40cm on the ground atm (so a lot more than you have on the picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Without ESP, the car is kinda unpredictable. The rear can get off pretty easily, but the front also pushes a lot. Wish I had a quattro, I would just rip off the ESP.

- Yak

I think the esp is great. When playing on a big parking place or something like thay you can drive without the esp, but when you drive among other cars the esp stops you when the rear comes perfectly.

And we have a lot more snow now 25 - 30 cm. Rather much for this time of the year!

trident21, nah. It's just cuts too much power, the car will almost stall sometimes. Getting to speed 50km/h with ESP on takes 20-30s, while without ESP (and driving gently, no spinning, or slipping) it takes 10s. So it's too aggressive, it's not anymore driver's car, it's ESP's car.

- Yak

Why dont we get snow like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Perhaps if you lived at the "proper" end of the country you'd be happier...

Actually, it's a real bind, especially as my commute to work is 80miles over mainly B roads...

David R, nah, I believe the ESP is programmed for other kind of conditions. It's done for Germans with their "winter tyres" which have no grip whatsoever. And ESP is then made a little too protective, to help novice drivers or something.

Every Audi A3 with ESP I've driven have had the same problem, it prevents too much. There's more grip available, but ESP won't let you use it. Also I don't think it does good job in 'falling snow' situation (meaning there's lots of packed snow on the road, which makes the car unsteerable since the snow crashes from under the tyres), in which taking ESP off might actually make the car steer where you wanted it to.

All in all, of course I use ESP, since it could prevent something with ice, which I can't see, but in packed snow, I think it's just useless piece of [censored]. Ouh yeah, nevermind situations where you get stucked with ESP, since it won't let your car move. Hiphurray.

Quattro might help a lot, since it can move power to other wheels, making ESP less useful in those situations. All in all, ESP is nice in ice, but bad in deep snow. Too bad, atm we have a lot of deep snow.

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Perhaps if you lived at the "proper" end of the country you'd be happier...

Actually, it's a real bind, especially as my commute to work is 80miles over mainly B roads...

[/ QUOTE ]

But you still enver get snow like that... Not proper snow. Its not fun to drive on roads in and is scary where i work as its in a crater...only way in or out is up/down steepish hills... Only managed to get out last time it snowed as it was fresh snow that nobody had compressed yet so traction wasnt TOO bad!.

Rich