Sniffpetrol

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
Just posted this on the A4 forum, taken from the latest edition of Sniffpetrol. Currently waiting to be flamed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AdAudiA4.jpg

To be honest, I have no idea what they're pointing at. What I do wonder if why is "K" called Potassium, instead of Kalium, which it really is, in chemistry?

- Yak

Yak, K is the chemical symbol for Potassium in the UK.

Its chemical symbol comes from the Latin kalium.

The element was discovered and named in 1807 by English chemist Humphry Davy from the English word "potash" (pot ashes).

The French also call it Potassium whereas the Germans called it Kalium.

Presumably from your question, you know it as Kalium in Finland too! One of those cases where the same thing has different names in different parts of Europe. Pity the chemists of the world couldn't have standardised on one name or the other!!!

Guys lighten up its supposed to be a funny poster! Not working out what the letters of the periodic table equate to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CJ, yeah I did notice, but I didn't reply again. I was more interested in the Kalium than the actual text /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak