Facelift Snatchy 3rd Gear S-Tronic

alpesh26

Reaction score
Before I get this booked in at Audi, does anyone else get a snatchy/jerky gear change when going into 3rd gear on their S3 S-Tronic? It doesnt matter whether its upshifting or downshifting into 3rd, it seems to be a bad gear change...but only in 3rd so I dont think its the clutches.

It's like when someone lets go of the clutch too early in a manual and the car has a slight jerk. I thought this was because of the cold weather but it was around 13 degrees yesterday and it was still doing it.

Just want to know if this is a trait of the S-Tronic on the S3 or if theres a problem with mine.

The car is a facelift 2017 (67) model.

Not an S3, but I can hardly feel my s-tronic changing at all, unless I really push it.

Reactions: oli356
Not an S3, but I can hardly feel my s-tronic changing at all, unless I really push it.

Yep it was smooth on my A5 TDI and A4 TDI with the S-Tronic box.

Im leaving the drive select in Auto on the S3 and this 'jerk' is only being felt in 3rd. It doesnt do it all the time. I know that putting the drive select in dynamic makes the gear changes more agressive so i'd expect the jerk when in dynamic, but not in auto. I have the car booked in with Audi (earliest appt with a courtesy car is next month!!) but I have a feeling theyre not going to find anything wrong with it as its intermittent

I had a similar thing and there was a technical bulletin out on the gearbox. Upgraded firmware to ECU and it resolved itself somewhat.

It probably will get jerkier though, as it 'learns' your driving style, and if that's particularly aggressive, it'll make for aggressive downshifts. Try cycling to dynamic mode from individual/auto as well and see if that makes any difference.

Reactions: alpesh26
I had a similar thing and there was a technical bulletin out on the gearbox. Upgraded firmware to ECU and it resolved itself somewhat.

It probably will get jerkier though, as it 'learns' your driving style, and if that's particularly aggressive, it'll make for aggressive downshifts. Try cycling to dynamic mode from individual/auto as well and see if that makes any difference.

I think it might be this 'learning' thing for my car, just weird how its only 3rd thats affected. I'll keep the appt with Audi as it has a rattle from the seatbelt adjuster so i'll get them to have a look at the gearbox whilst its in.

What year is your car?

I think it might be this 'learning' thing for my car, just weird how its only 3rd thats affected. I'll keep the appt with Audi as it has a rattle from the seatbelt adjuster so i'll get them to have a look at the gearbox whilst its in.

What year is your car?
MY16

It's called fuzzy logic when the car learns your driving style

It sounds like it could be the mechatronica ££££££

It's called fuzzy logic when the car learns your driving style

It sounds like it could be the mechatronica ££££££

My dad had the mechatronic unit fail on a Golf he had, ultimately it lead to a new gearbox. He has similar symptoms to my car but the jerkiness was a lot more violent on the Golf.

I've noticed the jerkiness getting a bit worse and its done it once in 5th too so it could be one of the clutches. I've tried using the car in different drive select modes and it does it in comfort also. I assume that the gear shifts in comfort are factory set so there is no element of 'learning' when in that mode

They do a repair kit for the mechatronica unit which is still about a £1200 job by a garage that's what I had done with mine

I called Audi Assist yesterday and they dropped me off a courtesy car yesterday. Jerkiness is definetely getting worse and didnt want to risk waiting a month to get my local dealer to get me a courtesy car

Hi,

Interested to know what the outcome of this was. I also purchased a facelift 2018 S3 with the 7 speed DQ 381 box not long ago and am noticing near identical issues. Particularly snatchy 3rd gear shifts and sometime also on 5th. The downshifts in sport are by far the worst though. Car jerks around pretty harshly from 4>3 and really feels like it’s not great for the box. Overall something just doesn’t seem right.

I’ve taken it to Audi and they said there was no issue with it but I’m not entirely convinced.

I’ve already had a coil pack and Haldex pump replaced under warranty so am a bit on on edge when it comes to issues with the car.

Hi,

Interested to know what the outcome of this was. I also purchased a facelift 2018 S3 with the 7 speed DQ 381 box not long ago and am noticing near identical issues. Particularly snatchy 3rd gear shifts and sometime also on 5th. The downshifts in sport are by far the worst though. Car jerks around pretty harshly from 4>3 and really feels like it’s not great for the box. Overall something just doesn’t seem right.

I’ve taken it to Audi and they said there was no issue with it but I’m not entirely convinced.

I’ve already had a coil pack and Haldex pump replaced under warranty so am a bit on on edge when it comes to issues with the car.
Audi didn't find a fault and it still does it, even after a DSG oil change. I'm at 37k miles, I think if it was going to die it would have by now

Interesting to hear. Strangely driving home from work today I noticed that the issue had all but basically subsided when driving in sport mode. Not really sure why apart from the fact that I was driving a little more spirited during the drive home. Normally I pick up on the snatchy downshifts most while negotiating the sharp and relatively slow corners just before reaching home. Today everything seemed smooth.

The only other possibility is that it had something to do with driving for around 20 mins in comfort mode earlier in the day - something I never do.

Very odd indeed. I would love Audi to update the software on the box. I’ve been told by the dealer that there are no updates available (UAE), however I’m aware those in Europe definitely have access to newer versions.

They do a repair kit for the mechatronica unit which is still about a £1200 job by a garage that's what I had done with mine
I know this is a few years ago now but did the repair kit work? Were there ever any repeat symptoms or did the repair kit totally fix the issue?