Snapped Spring, suspension options?

nomadx

Reaction score
Have a snapped rear spring on the A4, thinking its a good time to lower the car. What are my options? And anyone got suggestions on good places to buy suspension? Car is a A4 2.8 Quattro, 1999.

I got a set of Weitec springs and shox of Damian @DPM ( see sponsors on main page) very nice ride and looked loads better with being lowered -35mm there is also a -45mm option but i like a bit more clearance for covering rough ground when out shooting and fishing so i went -35mm. The shox are matched to the springs so you dont get the problems of bottoming out as you would with lowering on the standard springs but as i got some useless fecker in a garage to fit them and they ballesed it up i've just been getting round to changing the shockers to Bilstein b6 sports which are much firmer and a bit more bumpy on rough roads.

I'd recomend the weitec kit though if you dont wanna spend a fortune IIRC £400 all in. whereas i've just paid £470 for the Bilstein shockers alone :eek::faint:

Eibachs Pro-Kit gets my vote.

We recently fitted an eibach pro-kit and bilstein B6 shocks to my bros S4 and i'm very impressed. Its not harsh at all, just the right amount of lowering and all round spot on quality.

You say you paid £470 for those B6 shockers, Siena got craig a set for just over £300, so you were ripped a new one there mate...

Think the springs were £150ish, and while expensive they're amongst the best out there, and certainly worth it imo.

been told eibach are very good. can i just get springs on my standard dampers?

FK's are good. I had Eibachs once and was dissapointed with the drop, the ride was ok but on Prokit springs i found a drop of 20mm max even after settling.
I wouldnt stick springs on your shocks mate, you WILL regret that, the car will look better but ride poorly as the shock will not be able to control the springs as the rate of the spring is increased

The drop isnt into the weeds, but imo its just right to give the car a lower stance while optimising the handling, any lower and you start to get negative effects, which is the point of the pro-kit. The Sportline kit they do is lower, but clearly its not going to handle as nicely.

As for running them on stock dampers, i'd think that as a temporary measure they'd be ok, although i'd be looking at swapping them out for something else, especially if the OE dampers have done any more than about 60-70k as they will be past their best by then...

I wouldnt be fitting cheap coilovers to my car.

Any performance parts place like many of the folks that advertise on here should be able to supply them.

vmax coilovers seem to be getting good reviews as an altenative to weitec gts

Here my old 2.8 Quattro on 18" & 17" rim with H&R Race springs

2.jpg

1.jpg

ForSale2.jpg

Go get your self some sensible springs mate, you know the old skool ford rule, you can get away with 25mm - 30mm on std shocks anymore then your asking for trouble.

looking on the eibach site and there are 2 pro spring kits listed for my car, one says including auto and one says excluding auto. Bit odd?

auto gearbox weighs slightly more, which means you need slightly different spring rates, something that most aftermarket springs dont bother with.

ah ok, so i will be fine with the eibach ones exc auto box then. will get those ordered, cheers for the advice!