Snapped dipstick

Reaction score
The collar that hold the dipstick in has snapped off in the metal tube,ive bought the new collar from the dealer for £2.03. It it easy enough to change and does the metal tube come off the engine easy enough ???

you got the car? if not i hope the seller hasnt "snapped" it off so you cant see the oil?

Just picked up the car,you can still use the dipstick but its just not secured. As it happens ive just checked it and the garage have removed the snapped collar already and put dipstick direct into the tube so it should be a simple case of just fitting the new collar !!

oh ok get some pics up of your motor asap

The bit the dipstick goes into has snapped on mine too- is this the bit you mean? I thought that went all the way down to the bottom??? Simple fix then?

There is athe main metal tube that is attached to the engine and there is a plastic sleeve push on top which the dipstick pushes into. Apparenty a common fault on a4's so im told. the garage had just put a rubber tube round mine as i temp fix so i had to remove the old snapped piece with a pair of pliers,to get access you need to remove the rad bottle and then just remove the snapped part and push the new piece on . took me about 10 mins !!. The part number is v053 103 663 / ab076 v050 103 663/g And costs £1.73 + vat which is £2.03.