1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

snapped connector from break wear indicator on the car wire loom is it fixable?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MarkMS3, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MarkMS3

MarkMS3 Member

Hi all,

when replacing my front brake pads I had a bit of a struggle getting the brake wear connector disconnected as i'm sure a few people have! Anyway in the process the plastic part (small groove that the metal mounting bracket sits into) where the connector meets the wire on the car loom (abs sensor wire etc) has snapped can this be fixed or will it be what i'm sure will be an expensive fix of replacing the whole brake wear/abs sensor wire loom?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

You may not need the sensor. Perhaps just bag the broken one and leave it clipped to the loom.
  3. MarkMS3

MarkMS3 Member

It's not the sensor that is fine it is the connector for the brake wear indicator it is a Y split from the ABS sensor wire loom on the front left of the car, I was hoping I could maybe just get a new male connector and get the old one off and replace it but I'm sure with Audi it will be a case of buying the whole loom.
  4. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

Brake pad wear is a sensor. So you may be okay leaving the mating connector unplugged. But seal the ends to stop water ingress.
  5. MarkMS3

MarkMS3 Member

I am aware its is a strip of wire embedded into to the brake pad that completes a circuit when the pads wear down low enough,but I'm sure that will just cause the brake light on the dash to illuminate? As you were talking about a sensor I thought you were meaning the ABS sensor which is fine. I super glued the snapped part of the male connector back together at time but would like a long term solution without a massive price tag and a light on the dash, but TBH it has not caused a problem yet. But any advise would be welcome.