1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by god_thats_quick, Feb 15, 2005.

1. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif...

Don't think anyone read the end of my other post... so thought I'd try again, have lumpy idle and acceleration, have rulled out MAF but today whilst driving around realised there is smoke coming out the car after it's warm on gearchanges... very F"$£"£% worrying indeed, then whilst rulling out MAF checked the oil (only checked and topped up end of last week) it's very low or empty according to the dipstick just after stopping the car - oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif again!

question is,

1.when I disconnected the MAF no warning lights came on... should they?

2.what do we reckon is causing the car to burn a lot of oil... piston rings related???

3. where the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif should I take my car, risk taking it too AMD (an hour long drive) or give up and take it to the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif local Audi garage, does anyone know somewhere near reading that's not SH!T???

you can all stop laughing now... anyone know where I can get a new engine (APY) and gearbox if I need to?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif - just wondering what else is going to go wrong next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  2. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

You don't always get CEL with the MAF disconnected.

Is the smoke blue or black?

If it is black / grey smoke it could be caused by a disruption in the pressurised system from the turbo to intake manifold such as a loose hose / clip / pipe. This would cause overfuelling and smoke.
  3. god_thats_quick

the smoke is quite white and bluey and mainly just after gearchanges, **** seems to improve over about 3krpm, but won't be moving untill I have a better Idea of what to do and where to take it!
  4. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    the smoke is quite white and bluey and mainly just after gearchanges, **** seems to improve over about 3krpm, but won't be moving untill I have a better Idea of what to do and where to take it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats oil... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  5. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

It could be the turbo mate and the idle and smoke issues could be unrelated.

Its too easy assume the worst it still may be something simple so dont stress till you know whats at fault. I would bit the bullet and take it to AmD or the local dealer first for a quick check if you can limp there? Don't commit to anything they suggest untill you get a second opinion unless its definitive as dealers are to quick to guess and change susspected parts which may not be at fault but expensive. Maybe a diagnostic may shed light?
  6. god_thats_quick

yeh was thinking the same, just hate the local dealers around here, might give Reading Audi a try, going to call AMD in a bit and ask them what they think, will be topping it up with oil if I do take it anywhere as it must have burnt 1L in about 5 days and is now empty, thought the warning light would have gone off by now!
  7. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

The "too late the engine is fcuked light" never goes off in time!

I thought the oil level DIS warning might have gone off though if levels drop to near minimum like the washer fluid light?? Too much to ask maybe.

Good luck with it mate!
  8. god_thats_quick

I had the oil low warning light go off just after I got the car, filled it up within about 10 miles, but still hasn't gone off this time and there's hardly any on the dipstick... ah well just one of those things.
  9. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to agree with nervous, I leaning towards the valve / serious mechanical engine F"£$ up, have heard a lot about turbo's sucking a lot of oil through them if there faulty, but that wouldn't really explaint he idle, off to have another look then talk to audi and AMD and see what is best to be done, what does anyone reckon about driving it? not at all or top it up with oil and go carefully to the garage?

[/ QUOTE ]

What code does you engine have? As I was at a local VAG indi by me and they had an S3 in that had blown one of its pistons (Involves full head and bits replacing) and when the technician called one of his mates at a dealership they said "is it engine code XXX" he said "yeah" and they said "piston rings?" he said "yep" and they said "we have had 3 of those in now all between 40,000 - 70,000 miles" he showed me the pallet with the new head on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Might be completely off the mark here but worth a go as yours could be well on it's way to this happening. Thing is I cannot remember the engine code but might do when seeing it if you post yours? it was on pre facelift 210 S3's apparently there are 3 engine codes for the S3, mine is the 2nd one and the 3rd is the 225. If I don't remember when seeing it I will happily call him and get him to remind me of the code if you want?
  10. davidhodgkinson

davidhodgkinson Member

11. god_thats_quick

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, my engine code is APY which is the first of the engines in the S3 and I guess If it's serious I'm either going to want the same engine exactely or the BAM 225BHP engine.

any more suggestions for Audi specalists around Reading?
  12. god_thats_quick

Just thought I would update this with how I'm getting on...

Going to be complaining to Audi UK for a start... Reading Audi have just phoned to say they need to take the Cylinder head of to diagnose the exact fault although they have said there is low compression on one cylinder. they now want my permission to "spend a few hours taking it apart", which I'm guessing means a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif big labour bill before anything is sorted, what does everyone reckon, let them do it then complain to Audi after or give up and go to AMD who have been a lot more open and honest all allong, they reckon it does need stripping down to find out what it is and would take between 8 - 10 hours to strip and refit for which they would only be charging £480 I'm reckoning Audi will be more than double that, but I am thinking if I just say yes to audi then complaint as well then it might get cheaper as I don't really want to spend loads of money just to have them tell me I need a head after all...

PS... I'm going to be getting everything sorted on the car so it's in perfect condition, so there may be an imola S3 around for sale in a few weeks if anyone's interested
  13. god_thats_quick

Hi Grantos,

thanks for the advise, I assume if it's worse than one piston and the "engine has let go" it wouldn't move at all, is that right?

I'm still struggling with my brain over this one... do I complaint to Audi on the grounds this is taking the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif that the engine has gone at just over 60k get the work done at a main dealer and see if they pay some towards it, or drive / get it transported to somewhere I trust like AMD and pay about half the labour cost of a main dealer? any ideas anyone? anyone tried to have words with Audi about this as it is clearly a problem with some early cars?

also does anyone know how much the parts would cost for this? guess I might as well get the cam belt done now too and maybe the cam chain tensioner? anything else that's worth getting done?
  14. imported_grantos

imported_grantos Guest

It's a tough one mate, the one we're doing at the moment is a warranty job, the guy bought the car and a month later it started rattling, then the compression ring gave up. It didn't seize, but damaged the block enough to warrant a new one. My customer had grief with the warranty company and is now taking them to court.

All this is assuming its the same problem that is.
  15. god_thats_quick

Ummm....

Think I'm starting to not like Audi at all, one of the main reasons I bought the car was because I assumed all the serious bits would have bulit proof reliability and even though the warranty had just expired when I bought the car I didn't think anything of it... BIG MISTAKE

I have just spoken to Audi UK Customer services and they are not really interested at all unless it's a proven manufacturing fault by one of THEIR dealers.

The fact the car has only done 60k miles seems to mean nothing and the Full Audi Serivce history means nothing too by the look of it.

Service manager from Reading Audi just called me back (can't fault any of there service at reading) but basically Audi don't care if your car is out of warranty!

poses me an interesting question this, An S3 is a performance car and as such I use most of it's performance some of the time, but for the engine to go bang at 60,000 miles is a joke as far as I am concerned... think this has just made my mind up to give the good folks at AmD my money!

It's cylinder two that has very low compression by the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

one seriously FU£$"D off Audi owner here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

16. god_thats_quick

Hi Dunc,

The worrying thing is that's basically the message I got from the very nice after sales manager at Audi Reading, it's my fault for assuming a car that's only done 60k miles won't have an engine failure. I have to say though If you have a audi with a warranty I would say Audi Reading are about as good as you can get from a customer services point of view!

ah well just had a reply from VAG parts about a new engine (was bored and thinking the worst a few days ago) and the below shocked me again...

block assembly for £2,849.96 + vat
    And a head at £1,634.00 + vat

I thought these engines were quite cheap.... I guess not! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  17. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

Give Jabba a call as their rate is about £35 + vat per hour and they defenitely know their 1.8Ts.

Also for £2.5K plus vat perhaps you should try sourcing a 2nd hand engine?

Any ideas what caused this?

Good luck

Dunc
  18. god_thats_quick

nope... AmD didn't comment, as Audi UK and Audi Reading tried to imply I was driving the car too fast or had it modded (which I don't and haven't) should be interesting to hear what Audi have to say tomrrow when I ask how I broke an oil seal!!!

did think of buying one of the engines on ebay over the last few weeks, but if I decide I to sell it I would rather have the original engine sorted out especially as the rest of the car is as perfect as it could be...

The guy at AmD did say one thing that made me laugh even more, he asked if it was on AVS service as they've seen a few with piston ring failure on piston one, when I explained mine has been serviced every year or 10k, which means it's actually ahead of even the 10k intervals he looked surprised...

Have to say if I do sell it someone is going to get a bargain... a new engine in a very good condition s3...
  19. 6monthcarman

6monthcarman Member

I would get rid of it to a garage on a part ex if i were you. That is what i would do.
  20. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

Dont give up on the Audi route until the fat lady sings....Perhaps an engineers report might highlight something that you could use to push your case? If the cost isnt too high it might be worth a punt

IMO you really shouldnt be lumbered with an engine rebuild after 60k miles on a standard car if it has been serviced correctly etc

Dunc