Smoking culprit

Skinwiz

Reaction score
Back again with more problems lol , I've been recommended a decent mechanic locally who I'm going to see soon but before I do is there any way of distinguishing between valve stem oil seal or turbo oil seals in regards to a smokey ride ? Only does it when hot and after I've lifted off the pedal . I've had a brand new head fitted recently so I'm guessing it will be the turbo but I had some issues during said work on head so could do with double checking before I pay out again , £2850 spent in last few months so I wanna hedge my bets if possible . Cheers guys n gals . P .

Last edited:
if it was a new head then it should have new stem seals
valve stem seals usually smoke on overrun and when you accelerate after overrun
turbo smoke can be at idle it does depend on how bad the turbo is?
just done a turbo on a diesel which smoked when hot at idle and on overun

The car has done 121000 so I'm wondering if the tubo has ever been replaced , for what it cost i might just replace it and see how I go , if it still smokes then I can send it back as the head is supposed to be brand new ( they lied about testing the head 1st time round refitted it when it was cracked so ad to replace it under warranty ) I'm hoping they fitted new seals :think:
is the turbo a hard job or is it fairly easy to fit ?

I'm not too sure which way to go with this one :think: is the turbo a DIY job ? What should I pay for a turbo plus fitting if its not ?i can take the opportunity to fit a bigger or better turbo if its possible ? I don't mind having a go but can't seem to find a thread/guide anywhere relating to turbo removal and refitting . I read somewhere that a blocked breather system can cause issues too so I've just ordered the correct breather pipe as its a bodge job at min :wacko: thanks for the help so far guys :o.k:

if it was a new head then it should have new stem seals
valve stem seals usually smoke on overrun and when you accelerate after overrun
turbo smoke can be at idle it does depend on how bad the turbo is?
just done a turbo on a diesel which smoked when hot at idle and on overun

from that description it's the valve stem oil seals , I'm going to monitor it for the next few miles so I can be more definate . But I'm still playing with the idea of a new turbo just so I know it's been done . The car is a nice car , inside its mint so I'm looking at keeping it for a good while which means at will probably want a new turbo at some point anyway .

Ok , update time , just been out for a good 25 mile burn , driving hard and fast , leaving it on boost to try and create overrun , guess what , no smoke . Now I'm very confused .