Smoking bam s3

Ryan s3

Reaction score
I've posted a lot on here recently....
My 2002 bam s3 has had issues with blue smoke and I have spent ££££ trying to resolve with no success

Been diagnosed as a turbo issue which I think is good news......

Been looking on eBay etc and can't decide on what brand to go for or go for a used part etc.

Does anybody have experience on after market brands or a used part from a trusted source.

Just can't make up my mind and my local motor factors have quoted £500 For my original turbo to be 're manufactured!

I've also seen that u can buy the internals your self and do your own rebuild etc

Does it not need to be machined or balanced?

Any feed back would be very much appreciated

Ok, and I can just replace this ?
No machine work etc.

Thank you for the swift reply!!

thats what its for yeah... subject to the hotside being serviceable of course...

<tuffty/>

Cheapest and best way of refreshing your turbo. Just remove turbo and strip off exhaust side and the compressor side from the existing turbo. Mount these back onto the new CHRA and essentially you have a new turbo. By using a genuine CHRA it should last as long as the original.
Have you checked your oil pressure/ oil pick up isn't blocked.
You can't just rebuild a turbo with parts without balancing it, If you are going to do that you may as well just buy a cheap Chinese CHRA..

Ok thanks for the info ..
The Chinese brands?
I'm not into massive power just a reliable quick car.
Was hoping to get it mapped at some point.
Front mounted intercooler was probably as far as I was going to go

There are plenty of cheap CHRA'S on Fleabay made in China. You could spend £500 having a turbo rebuilt and all they would do is strip off the compressor and exhaust housings and swap in one of these cheap CHRA's . Don't buy one of these. Go for a genuine quality part. The turbo is just about the hardest working part in the engine and if you are thinking of getting it remapped you definitely want it working correctly.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbochar...1-8-T-1998-2006-APY-AMK-BAM-BFV/220920531741?

Chinese turbos are generally best avoided...

just over 200 quid for a genuine chra is a no brainer... you will need to remove turbo either way so once you have removed it inspect the hotside... if its not badly cracked then get the genuine one anyway...

<tuffty/>

Is this what your car is like?

Got my S3 in a bad way and decided to swap the turbo even though I'd never worked on a car before ( if only I knew what I was getting into lol ). Turns out the last owner used water instead of coolant and the coolant return pipe was blocked, hence why it was burning so much oil when under boost. I bought a CHRA from Badger5 but the exhaust housing from the old turbo had gotten so hot that it was warped so I had to get a new one of those too. Pretty much brand new turbo for 400 so you really can't go wrong.

Don't assume it was a natural death either. Make sure everything is working as it should and that it's not going to just kill another turbo, which nearly happened to me.

Best of luck with it.