smoking, advice please

Farky

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I don't post on here that often but I have a question which is concerning me slightly, hopefully someone can confirm what might be causing this possible problem.

I've got a 99/V s3, i was out giving it some spirited (redline) driving, basically a bit of a duel for about 3 minutes with my mate behind me, after this we pulled up and had a quick chat for about a minute (car left on tickover), we then pulled away again, he rang me to say that my car was smoking (blue/grey) in first and a slight puff when i changed into second, but nothing afterwards. We repeated the above and it did it again, so its not a one off.

Is this common or is something on it's way out/worn out? Ive only had the car a couple of months, it's got FASH and 60k on the clock, with no modifications.

Any ideas?

i believe if it smokes after its been ticking over for a while its worn valve stem seals.

Id be interested in the outcome because i have an 1999 S3 with ~60K and my mate also after following me said the same. although i was just driving hard after some slow ish driving so mine hadn't been ticking over.

Also i read some where that you get black smoke if the engine's running rich, i have revo on mine so it could be running my car rich but this could be down to the MAF or other things i suppose.

if i give it some beans on the way to work, i always let the car tick over for a minute or two when i arrive.

if i blip the throttle after its been ticking over for a few minutes, i get a rather embarassing cloud of blue smoke out of the back!

often ive valve stem oil seals, but ive been told in my case, its more likely down to my turbo, which is not in good health at all.

It dont smoke when left on tickover if drven without thrashing. If it was the stem seals, would it not smoke all the time after being left on tickover for a while? as many years ago i had a 205 gti and the stem seals went on that, causing smoking after left on tickover everytime.

S3 Dave said:
Is that the turbo oil seal fairy knocking, KNOCK KNOCK. :ohmy:

im my case, i think said fairy has given up knocking, broken in, and nicked 90% of my seal. its SO embarassing in the work car park when it kicks out plumes of smoke!