Smokey a4

Weemaca

Reaction score
hi
can anybody help av just got a a4 1.8t 04 plate think its a b6 drove it back from doncaster with no probs but the car is now blowing white smoke when it is idle ?? Coolent sound and oil too ?
Am not getting any warming codes or priority codes.
car runs great no loss of power any help would be great going to book into audi to get em to check it out but would like any ideas

Thanks

it's what 1.8t's do mate, if your coolant isn't going down then it's just condensation, if you do lots of short trips them you get a lot of moisture in the exhaust.

Only need to worry if it's blue (bunring oil), or your coolant is going down.

it's what 1.8t's do mate, if your coolant isn't going down then it's just condensation, if you do lots of short trips them you get a lot of moisture in the exhaust.

Only need to worry if it's blue (bunring oil), or your coolant is going down.[/QU

Thanks for ur help but its giving out a very strong smell to and the smoke is very bad u would think it was a dirty diesel with the amount of smoke thats pouring out of it but water and oil are fine so i have contacted the garage i got it from and there going to get it fixed for me ( looked at anyway )
I understand what ur saying but I think the amount of smoke and the smell is too much for it to be moisture i hope am wrong lol
i have noticed a number 1 sign on the square comp what does that mean ? Any ideas
and thanks again for ur help
:)

No 1 sign on the central DIS is usually because you've been fiddling with the speed warning system, read the manual to understand how it works and how to clear it.

Ok thanks
just got the car on saturday and the 1 was already on the screen thanks for ur info :)
i will get it removed wasent sure if it was anything to be worried about

I don't think anyone ever uses it to be honest!

If there's too much moisture in the system I'd do all the obvious checks relating to head gasket etc. The only real issue to be aware of with the 1.8T is the oil pick up and sludge issue, it's well worth doing your research there.

Ok sound al have a look into that :)
i have checked the oil and coolent and both seem to be ok its not over heating or loss of power and it drives 100%
it only starts smoking when i idle for a couple of mins then the smoke apears ? Its a strange one
tnk i need to get a nicoten patch lol

Thanks again :)

sounds like possibly a blocked breather pipe in that case. Maybe crankcase? The Mazda 3 MPS suffers a similar issue to this.

Just heard back from audi there saying its the turbo seals that are at fault ? Leaking oil onto the turbo thats why am getting the smoke when its idle
And there fitting a new turbo @ the garages expense so hears hoping that this will fix the prob

Thanks again for the post's :)

The "1" on the DIS could also be to tell you the Trip information since the journey began. If you cycle through the DIS it will change to "2" which tells you the trip information since the last time it was reset. Mine is a white "1" in a red square but it is on a 2003 S4 with colour DIS and may vary depending on DIS type