1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smokey 2.0TDI

CRC101 Jul 13, 2009

1. CRC101

CRC101 Reassuringly Expensive

Hi guys,

Its been pointed out to me that my car is emitting a fair amount of black smoke when I floor it. I'd expect it to smoke a bit as its a diesel, but it was only serviced a couple of months ago by Audi. I've put some RedX Diesel in, do you think its a cause for concern? Other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Charlie

2. audi-pricey

audi-pricey Member

what age is it?
    miles on it ?
    mods?

3. CRC101

Its a 53 plate; 54k miles. No mods as yet. In reasonable nic.

4. audi-pricey

audi-pricey Member

well only thing i can think of is the redx gettin all the dirt out

wait till you get re-map you will see it smoke then but if fells good

5. dunk

dunk Member

can you see the smoke in your rear window as you drive? if so, then sounds a bit too smokey for standard.

lots of smoke= too much fuel (temperature sensor? or duff chip/tuning box) or too little air (turbo, boost leak, blocked air filter?)

6. tdisportuk

tdisportuk Member

excess smoke + funny whine = blown turbo! most likely if its just a puff of black smoke when you floor it then its usually normal

7. CRC101

Cheers for the advice guys. Yes, I can see black smoke when I boot it in the mirror, but not when driving normally.

Its not whining, so I don't think its the turbo. Could just be a bit dirty I guess.

Dunk, how would you check the temperature sensor without replacing it? I'd expect some sort of dash warning light or something?

8. Chimp

Chimp Active Member Team Navarra Audi S5 Audi Q5

Always a very good practice to get your injectors cleaned professionally after 3/4 years keeps the fuel flowing nicely.

Less smoke, better mpg etc and helps avoid costly replair bills with fuel filters /injectiors etc later.