Smokey 2.0 TDI

MrsTeriyaki

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just recently introduced our new 07 A6 2.0 TDI, she's done 70+ k miles. I've noticed the car is pumping out smoke when in reverse , or when we stop I see smoke fly past the car. It's like a white/blue smoke.

Could this happen if the oil was too full? Any other thoughts?

Will be taking her in next week, thanks for your help.

Sounds like a possible injector problem, is yours the 170BHP?

shame they may have been covered under warranty with the 170 version. I would get the car scanned with vcds see if any error codes appear it could be something simple like a faulty egr valve.

Going to book into Midland VW next week, read some positive feedback about them. Thanks.

Last edited:
The car came back with no problems, the engine light strangely turned off before it got to the garage. Diagnostic check came back clear, we purchased a suggested DPF cleaner to fix the smoke problem. They kindly fitted a broken headlamp bulb too.

I didn't go to the garage myself but from what my other half tells me I'm impressed and thankful for this forum and those who suggest Midland VW.

It's still smoking white when in reverse and the mechanic mention that an injector could need changing soon but it is okay now. Think this could be the issue? Gunna use this DPF cleaner and see if there's any improvements.

I think it will be an injector unfortunately, you can check if they are out of tolerance using VCDS.

VCDS, ain't got a clue what that is. Taking a drive to Italy in June so this ideally needs to be sorted for peace of mind.

After a few trips to Midland VW, we've had a few parts changed and an engine update done.

We've had the Exhaust Pressure sensor and EGA valve changed, still no difference.. Over £350 down the pan so far. The mechanic said the DPF is scratched and dented - showing that someone's removed it previously. The next step is to replace that but it's too expensive right now!

My main concern is our drive to Italy in 2 weeks, what are people's thoughts? Will it be ok to do the journey. The car is still pumping white smoke sometimes when reversing/stationary or slowing to a stop.

Thanks

I would say you are OK, but but it does sound like an injector fault. If the DPF has been gutted then the car has been remapped and the DPF deleted out of the MAP, if that is the case then you need to tell your insurance company, but DFP removal is illegal so not many company's will insure the car.

I have the same issue ... blue/white smoke at low revs , the car is the same but 2004 , it only smoke at low revs and from moving from a stop , it also puffs out smoke in reverse ?? not too sure I'm thinking turbo seals or
injectors ..... I only brought the car two weeks ago the problem only started a week ago ....... it's really annoying me now

I have the same issue ... blue/white smoke at low revs , the car is the same but 2004 , it only smoke at low revs and from moving from a stop , it also puffs out smoke in reverse ?? not too sure I'm thinking turbo seals or
injectors ..... I only brought the car two weeks ago the problem only started a week ago ....... it's really annoying me now

would be worth checking if the car had been remapped or has 'performance' chip in it. With those fitted cars would generally smoke more that those w/o.

one thing I would do, which is a cost effective way to see if things could be improved, is to clean your tank and fuel lines, fill up 2/3 of the tank with Shell VPower (or equivalent) and add Wynn's Injector/fuel line cleaning solution... drive for a period and time will tell.

I've done it several times and improvements were noticeable... but again I only use car in London and modus operandi is big NO-NO for DPF fitted vehicles.

Failing resolution/improvements re above suggested do the usual

1. check fuel line
2. EGR and sensors for gas recirc (e.g. N something)
3. DPF
4. manifold
5. injectors etc

Hope that helps.