1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smoke on start up

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by vw754, Mar 4, 2010.

1. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

I get blue smoke only in the morning on a first start up only,once i start it it never does it again even after 3/4 hours of being parked up.................just on the first start up after standing all night.
    Been told could be valve stem seals and nothing worry about. 2.0 tdi 8p
  2. tdisportuk

tdisportuk Member

Hi there,

mine does that too on some occasions or its just thick black smoke. After using a fuel cleaner such as redex and using decent fuel like shell etc etc and giving it a blast on the motorway ive found it rarely happens now.

Is start up and performance normal?
  3. vw754

everything 100%
  4. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

mine does it too, not every morning, if its left for 2 or 3 days then it always does it. I've never worried about it, I see too many diesels chucking out smoke on the motorways to worry!!
  5. vw754

ok nice one........mine gets used once or twice a week at most so maybe if i used it everyday it wouldnt do it........nothing to worry about anyway ,just thort id mention it.
  6. rickyquicky

rickyquicky Member

Its nothing to worry about at all if its only on start-up from cold mate, and most diesels do this - its just the way they work... basically from cold they wont be burning the diesel as well as when the engines warm hence the unburnt **** comes out the back for a while until the diesel starts 'burning' more efficiently when it gets warmer :icon_thumright:

If the smoke is a blue colour though on start up...that can be valve stem seals.