1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoke Lots of it

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by A4_MO, May 15, 2013.

1. A4_MO

A4_MO Member

Can someone help

The other day I drove from where I live Aylesbury Bucks down to Brighton in my 2.0Tdi 170 s-line (07) with no problems other than traffic here an there.
    Got to Brighton parked up all is fine 8 hours later back to the car and started her up and the car started to shake like side to side and has never done it the past and stopped after 20 sec and so then off i went.
    Stopped at some traffic lights and it started doing it again but when I looked in the mirror i have never seen so much smoke coming from my car. I don't think my car even smokes
    I did pull over looked under the bonnet like every man would . Didn't see any thing because I don't know what Im looking for (Just looked good)
    No light on the dash so i thought to drive it and it kind of cleared it self after i put my foot down a bit. The power was still there and after all that the car was fine all the way home.

Had it put on a computer and hay-presto no faults. How Im thinking there is some thing wrong

Why the hell did that happen? Has that happened with any one else?
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Could have had a dpf hissyfit maybe, see how you get on.
  3. ESD1711

ESD1711 Member

In honesty, if your car has anything which seems seriously wrong or at least raises a question of doubt in your head..... I really dont think putting the foot down a bit is ever going to be a wise choice......

Hopefully its nothing serious and doesnt give you any bother though.
  4. Paul B7

Paul B7 Member

I have just resolved a similar problem with my own 140 2.0tdi that I have been having on and off for a few months now. The fault did eventually turned out to be an intermittent faulty Mass Air Flowmeter which was diagnosed with VCDS at my last service. Cost for the replacement Bosch part was £60.
  5. Paul B7

Paul B7 Member

<br>
    <br>
    I have just resolved a similar problem with my own 140 2.0tdi that I have been having on and off for a few months now. The fault did eventually turn out to be an intermittent faulty Mass Air Flowmeter which was eventually diagnosed with VCDS at my last service. Cost for the replacement Bosch part was £60. I am told a faulty MAF does not always throw an error when scanned ?
  6. mehtaman

mehtaman Member

I had a similar issue with my 2.0 140 about 2 months ago.

Had been out all day in the car doing a lot of stop/start town driving, pulled up at some red lights and noticed a ton of white smoke comming out the back and possibly a slight burning smell.
    As soon as the light went green and I started to drive the smoke cleared and I haven't had the issue since.
    The car has been for a service since then and no issues were reported.

I thought it might have been the DPF or ERG dumping a load of gunk into the exhaust?
  7. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Member

White smoke is generally caused by oil burning. If it happens all the time I'd be looking into turbo oil seals.