1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smog Pump!!!!

docurley Dec 29, 2005

1. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Do our UK cars have a smog pump, as I need to know because I'm hopping to be testing a Beta FMIC for a US company but need to know if we have one like the US cars?

I gather it is the charcoal canister that absorbs the fuel vapours and burns them as the engine warms up. It is an emissions feature.

Anybody shed any light on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

ours is under one of the front wings isnt it?? its part and parcel with the secondry air pump setup i think

3. tubtub

tubtub Member

'Smog pump'? I think I'll rename my smoky diesel that...!

4. manwithbins

manwithbins New Member

I think the charcoal canister is indeed under the drivers side wing, and the fumes are allowed into the inlet manifold under certain conditions determined by the ECU,which opens a valve.
    I think the engine needs to be at operating temp and not idling,but it was a while ago I read it!

5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

Ask them for a P/N of the thing they are talking about, and check if you have one that way.

RIch