1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smashed Sharkfin

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by alpha3, Jul 9, 2012.

1. alpha3

alpha3 alpha3

Recently I was visiting family in Mississippi (I'm in the USA) and had a tree branch fall on the roof of my A3 during a storm. It crushed the sharkfin antenna housing - and put a very small dent in the roof area. There was no Audi dealer nearby, and I was far from home. The antenna couldn't be salvaged, and I certainly didn't want water coming in the hole in the roof where the sharkfin was; so I snipped the cable, removed the wreck of antenna, and taped and sealed off the cable ends.

Then I went to an auto parts store and got a fake sharkfin to put over the hole where the original one had been, and installed it with a water-tight seal. You can't really even tell anything's amiss unless you look VERY closely. I vag-commed the radio, and it shows an open circuit fault for the sirius but that's it, to be expected since it is taped off.

Otherwise, the radio works fine, my CD's play fine, and I still get AM/FM its just the Sirius that now of course doesn't work. I used the satellite radio infrequently, I'm just wondering if I should leave it that way or get it fixed, I'm not sure how expensive that would be or even worth it since I don't use it a lot. Is there such a thing as a portable sirius radio that I could plug in to the accessory jack?

Anyone have experience with such a thing? What do you guys think?
  2. OCD-A3

OCD-A3 Member

Hey alpha,

I'm also in the states, hopefully I can be of some assistance (they don't have Sirius/XM across the pond.)

Your AM/FM antenna is built into the glass in the hatch, so you'll have no problems with that. The shark fin houses the satellite antenna (as you know) and the GPS antenna... I'm assuming you don't have nav, since Vag-com did not log a fault. The best route IMO is just to get a universal Sirius antenna. If you pop the plastic cover inside your hatch on the left side, the Sirius module is held in by two clips and slides out. There are three plugs going to it: power, data, and antenna. The antenna will either be a single round plug or two round plugs coming from a single cable bundle. You can use any off-the-shelf magnetic antenna, just be sure it has the correct number of leads. You may only be able to find antennas with a single lead now, but you can get an adapter to convert it (try Terk.) Just stick the antenna on the roof and run the cable through your hatch and down the pillar, it'll drop right into the correct area.

I've actually got a couple of spare antennas that have the single plug, I'd be happy to give you one if you cover shipping. If you happen to be in Florida, I'll even help you install it. :thumbup:

You can also purchase a new shark fin from Audi, but they come unpainted and you'll have to drop the headliner to run the cable. If you want to use a plug-and-play Sirius tuner to the aux jack, that's certainly possible, but you'll still need to run an antenna on the roof or the dash (not to mention it won't look as nice with an extra unit stuck on the dash, power cord running to the cig lighter, etc.)

Just PM me if you need an antenna!
  3. flying oyster

flying oyster flying oyster

the only sirius we have over here is billy j cyrus and that was too much lol
  4. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor

Billy Ray must have a brother then...........lol
  5. flying oyster

flying oyster flying oyster

i bow to your superior knowledge of country music im more down with the kids if ya get me blud lol
  6. alpha3

alpha3 alpha3

Thanks, OCD, appreciate the info, and your very kind offer. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but I'm in the process of moving. I think I'm going to go the Sirius tuner route, as I just don't use the Sirius on a daily basis....great info, though, and thanks once again.
  7. OVRA3

OVRA3 Active Member

8. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Sounds like its Achey Breaky Broken