1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smashed rear window.. Total disaster !

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by Audi Dynamik, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Audi Dynamik

Audi Dynamik Well-Known Member

[Nov 18, 2013]
    Today has been a total disaster !!

I shut my boot lid this morning and then guess what happened.. The rear window just decides to completely smash.. glass everywhere! Anyway i called out Autoglass and they put me a new one in took them two hours to do it.
    I have had a drive around tonight and had a look at a few A4 B8's to compare the boot to mine because the edge of the back of my boot is extremely close to the glass and you could just about fit a 5p coin down it, I have had a look at other A4 B8s and they have a much bigger gap between the boot and the glass. So what i thought was maybe a stone was in the gap and i shut the boot on the stone and it smashed the glass.

I have been hoovering all the shattered glass up and more and more just seems to appear from nowhere ! anyway eventually it has all gone except from the glass which is underneath the base of the rear seats on the metal which is rattling when i am driving.
    Is there anyway that i can easily remove the rear seats to get rid of this glass rattling underneath them ? Or will i just have to drive around with ear muffs on ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Nov 18, 2013]
    On previous A4's you just grab the bench seat and yank up REALLY hard. However they said these were one time clips ... although I used mine more than once.

Not sure on the B8 but there's not many other options really.
  4. Audi Dynamik

[Nov 19, 2013]
    Oh right interesting.. I will have a look at weekend then.
    Thanks.
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 19, 2013]
    Thought someone had broke into your car Bernie! And I feel your pain, someone smashed the front windscreen on one of my old cars to steal a teddy on the dash! Glass everywhere, some even dropped down the air vents, which was un-retrievable, not nice at all!
  6. Audi Dynamik

[Nov 19, 2013]
    Its terrible isnt it !! There is glass everywhere and still bits are appearing in the boot from nowhere since i have hoovered it all out !
    Had a woman come in today to tell me she found a piece of glass in her Chips & Gravy !
    I have had to cover up my trays of fish when they are in the boot incase some glass drops into them.

About 10 years ago when i had a merc i got the windscreen smashed on that and the glass got into the air vents and every time i turned the heater on glass used to drop out !
  7. Audi Dynamik

[Nov 19, 2013]
    I have used this tutorial [Tutorial] Removing the fixed rear seat in an Audi A4 B8 - AudiWorld Forums to take out the base of the rear seats and found a massive collection of broken glass which slides around the bottom of the plastic when i am turning corners etc..
    Whilst i was taking the seats out i have managed (Stupid me :keule:) to brake the clips which keep them held in place 023.jpg

Does anybody know Where to get some more of these from ?
    Because now the front part of my rear seat is loose and not held down properly.

Anyway i think the bootlid is far too close to the rear window and i think a stone was lodged their and i shut the boot and it put pressure on the stone which forced the rear window through.
    017.jpg
    020.jpg
    021.jpg

The boot lid seems to dip allot mor towards the window here compared to the other A4's i have looked at.
    022.jpg
    Personally i think it needs adjusting so it is abit higher up and gives abit more clearance between the boot and the glass. What are your thoughts ? How is it adjusted ?
    Also what are these black circular things the boot shuts onto:
    016.jpg
  8. fsures

fsures New Member

[Nov 19, 2013]
    Your Audi dealer will have the clips. They are a one time use item, not terribly expensive.
  9. Audi Dynamik

[Nov 20, 2013]
    Oh right that's why then ! Hahaha
    I popped in to my mates car bodywork repair garage and he said he is going to get me some and adjust the boot a little bit so it isnt as close to the window because Audi wont do that for me.