Small mods ive done this weekend

Joereynolds89

2010 Facelift!
Reaction score
To start on friday i pulled out my headlining and was going to replace it with an s3 one... though it wasnt black as advertised more of a dark grey, so got to dying it all before it went in

So from this
IMG_1069.jpg

then
IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

leaving
IMG_1072.jpg

Did the carpet and all the pillars etc... looks alot better and will put a picture up as soon as its all fitted (Waiting on a few clips etc from audi due to some being missing from previous owner)

While doing this i also darkened the rear view mirror etc
IMG_1078.jpg

And also carboned the gear surround and ashtray, pictured with new gearknob need to be fitted

IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg

have sent loads of bits of to be flocked too, so once thats all back ill get a photo of my interior with everything fitted!

However while doing this found 2 plugs i wasnt sure what they where for, both of these:

IMG_1075.jpg
IMG_1076.jpg

Joe

Its either the BOSE mic or Phone Mic. Do you have any of those?

Its either the BOSE mic or Phone Mic. Do you have any of those?

Ive got bose speakers, but no phone module as far as i know... Weird as both parts have very similar part numbers too and one looks as if it plugs into the other but they wouldnt

wow thats well good. can this be done with the standard sport trim as its realy light in colour. ? looks good though.

Yer the cream trim will also dye, however not sure what youd do with grab handles etc, i wouldnt want to paint those interior bits that are gone be used abit, though i suppose its possible...

Ive got a standard sport trim here as thats what my car is, so might dye it all to sell on should only take about 1 litre to do it all

Also may be swapping the chrome trims with Russo for his boring grey ones due to me thinking of carbon wrapping them?

IMG_1074.jpg

What do people think... might do one to see how it will look as i dont use the 3m stuff its a fabric therefore easy to test and remove

Got a pic N8?

No russo, standard sport ones, i think there the same colour as your trims, they where like a bluey grey, almost black... the door cards are different as its the s3 interior i got

Which dye did you use, is it the pic or is it a bit patchy/blotchy?

Which dye did you use, is it the pic or is it a bit patchy/blotchy?​

As Russo has said, its a mixture of light and how damp the dye is, how heavy ive put it on in some places to others, tbh you cant go wrong, it cant go anymore black then the colour your dying it with tbh, if it was patchy another coat would sort it but in this instance no, everything matchs and looks factory

Ps: You ever get prices on buttons etc?

Last edited:
what carbon did you use mate if you didnt use the 3m stuff is it real carbon ??

Its a carbon fabric i get from a supplier in Germany, it use to be on ebay (not sure if it is anymore) but im talking about 3 years ago when i first started using it, i just source it via supplier now as i get alot of parts of them
Its not real carbon fibre, its a cloth with the correct look and texture, however its for interior use only but comes in many different colours and thickness's ie i have bth the colour used there, a darker version, and a silver version, ranged from 0.3 mm to 1mm thick depending on use (seat covers etc)

Last edited:
fair enough mate it looks quite good tho hence the reason i asked if it was real lol, im going to do my own trims in real carbon in the next few weeks i cant wait to get it done ready for the show season

Who does your carbon work? are they keeping the moulds etc so that they can reproduce as i could be interested, ive been thinking about a real carbon fibre skin on my roof, then filler it in and respray to look different to gloss black or something

fair enough mate it looks quite good tho hence the reason i asked if it was real lol, im going to do my own trims in real carbon in the next few weeks i cant wait to get it done ready for the show season

Who does your carbon work? are they keeping the moulds etc so that they can reproduce as i could be interested, ive been thinking about a real carbon fibre skin on my roof, then filler it in and respray to look different to gloss black or something
im doing it myself but not a full carbon part just carbon skinning im doing im covering my original trims

Reactions: Inertiauk
Yeah if you do the sport trim let us know how it goes yeah?

Have you got a product name bro?

carbon looks great its about time someone started doing this for a living i would be first on the list to have my trim done in carbon
i cant wrap a xmas present but i can open an oyster or two anyone for a skill swap lol

Great work Joe. Outcome looks spot on :rock:

I retrimmed the interior of a MK3 Golf the other week, i think i may consider dying in the future - looks a lot easier!

Yer that looks like the one mate, how come you ask?

I was looking to buy that 1 my self.....:sly: Then read your post and was :think: to my self ....You must of bought it. I was surprised that you painted it even Darker.....as I thought that it was black already. But Great Mod.....:drool:

Yeah if you do the sport trim let us know how it goes yeah?

Have you got a product name bro?

It's just a lexis black dye, unbrandard from a valeters supplier I know

carbon looks great its about time someone started doing this for a living i would be first on the list to have my trim done in carbon
i cant wrap a xmas present but i can open an oyster or two anyone for a skill swap lol

I'd be happy to trim almost anything for people, due to it being fabric is so much better then the 3m when it comes
To edges/curves etc

Great work Joe. Outcome looks spot on :rock:

I retrimmed the interior of a MK3 Golf the other week, i think i may consider dying in the future - looks a lot easier!

Is tonnes easier, cheaper too! I've used suede etc before but soon adds up

I was looking to buy that 1 my self.....:sly: Then read your post and was :think: to my self ....You must of bought it. I was surprised that you painted it even Darker.....as I thought that it was black already. But Great Mod.....:drool:

Haha, I did mate, I though the s3 linings where black too until I picked it up, had to go darker... It's the little things that make a car

Spot on! What kind of dy did you use?

Did it leave a smell in the car?

Just valeters dye, colour is called lexus black, no smell once dry mate!

Hmm I want to do this but have no idea were to get the dye.

Good job man, the headlining makes a big difference. How easy is the carbon gear to work with, quite fancy doing a few bits. Whats the durability like?

Hmm I want to do this but have no idea were to get the dye.

I can get 1 litre (which is all i used for about £15, add postage to that and i can send it you, however check with all the randm places around you, one of the motor factors should have some, ill let you know how it works if i do the sport trim

Good job man, the headlining makes a big difference. How easy is the carbon gear to work with, quite fancy doing a few bits. Whats the durability like?

Its a huge difference going from the original cream colour lol, Carbon stuffs pretty easy to work with, i use trim fix to apply it to surfaces like the gear surround, but can also stich it and make the gaitors etc... depending how thick you go gives better durability, the 1mm+ stuff is used to cover seats, couldnt be used on the gear surround due to how much it would pretude and you wouldnt be able to get the chrome trim back in and plastic weld the part back together once done
However trim fix gives you about 5-10 minutes to work with it though as it drys it will get more and more difficult, will take quite awhile to get the hand of it but once done its pretty each to use

I even did my engine bay cover and will probably do quite a few other bits:

fbaf72d4.jpg

this was middle of doing it, therefore you can see some small raised areas which where just pushed back down once alittle dryer and stuck fine, the fabric didnt stretch enough to get into the dipstick area though unfourtunatly so satin blacked that :)

Last edited:
well done mate, very interesting that dying.. the back of my rear bench is a slightly different colour to the rest of my boot.. this could be a good solution! has it dried evenly joey?

well done mate, very interesting that dying.. the back of my rear bench is a slightly different colour to the rest of my boot.. this could be a good solution! has it dried evenly joey?

Yes mate, drys perfect everytime ive used it

Just found this on ebay
BLACK CARPET & FABRIC DYE SUITABLE TO DYE MOST COLOURS on eBay (end time 11-Feb-11 20:42:57 GMT)

Good price, and should be pretty much identical stuff

You would need to do your entire boot carpets to get it all to match, and could still vary slightly due to the colour covered, though more coats would fix that however everything will need to be moved and masked up before using the stuff, its viscosity is thinner then water and therefore makes it quite fun to play with... plus it will dye anything it touchs! lol