Small Chip

rookuk

Reaction score
Website
www.victoriacourt.co.uk
Any advice please, 9 months and have a tiny (2mm) chip on the rear passenger door right on the ridge. The trouble is its like when you have a filling missing and the hole feels massive, well every time I get in the car I have to look at the chip. Changing the car is not an option especially the time spent waiting for it. P.S. This car is getting better every time I drive it.

£200 to have it professionally resprayed, they'll sort it out if it bugs you that much

Touch up paint best for this BUT use either a thick pin or a cocktail stick and not the paint brush supplied.

As a rule of thumb, I have found getting a small blob in the chip works (but not over filling it), I then let it dry for a few minutes and then with some nail polish remover soaked on to the edge of a micro-fibre cloth I very carefully wipe away any excess paint around the chip. If you get your eyeball super close to the panel you can be super accurate with the edge of the micro-fibre. This method works well as it fills it with out getting in to building up layers and DA polishing it out (which is a pain and needs some skill).

Had my first chip on rear door panel (approx the size of half a grain of rice) - pin was used and did the above. Can only see it now if I really look for it.....

http://www.chipex.co.uk

This is an alternative. Good system - but you need to let it dry for a good day or two before using the fluid that removes any excess........

Chip ex is good, but its possible to over fill the chip with paint, leave for a few minutes then carefully wipe the edge of a credit card or similar over it. It may leave a small smear but don't worry when its dry that will polish off with some very fine compound such as below.
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/349/Swirl-Remover-20/
Or alternatively call one of the many chip people (not Harry Ramsdens!)