Slow turbo?

trevormuk1

Reaction score
Website
none
New 2.0tdi Sport 140 - 500 miles on the clock..

Pulling away accelaration is really slow ... even slower than my old 1.9tdi.

Turbo kicks in at about 2.5k rpm .. and then everything is ok ...but up to that point it is so slow.

Is this normal?
Will it get better as the car is run in?
Thanks for any help?

It''s inevitable it will feel weaker low down than your 1.9tdi.
That's simply the difference between an 8 valve engine (1.9) and a 16 valve engine(2.0).
Anyone who's driven an 8v and 16v Golf Gti will instantly know what I mean.
Are you sure it's 2.5k before the turbo kicks in though?
I seem to remember it was around 1800rpm, on my A3.
It does come in with a bit of a kick though.
I'm voting 'normal'.

Is the 140TDI only an 8 valve then?!

EDIT: Never mind! Just re-read what bowfer said! So the 8V has more lower down grunt then? I thought it was the other way round...

thanks for the replies..

Will a remap (Bluefin) help?

Overall I am extremely happy with the new car ....
Cheers
T

Bowfer is right 8v instant response, 16v starts going further round the rev counter, the v-tecs are the worst nothing til you get to 5.5k then bang your off.

Mk2 Golf GTi 8v was one of my best cars, was practically bullet proof and was tuned to beat the 16v ones off the mark which was nice!

I would say your car is normal, my 407 HDi is terrible til the turbo kicks in (it ain't much better when it does kick in lol). Once you get used to it you won't really notice it!

Mark

I disagree, my a3 2.0tdi 140 has grunt well before 2500rpm. However I would wait for it to be run in before you start worrying too much tho. If I were you I would ask Audi for a trial in another a3 same engine. Then come to a conclusion. It all depends on what your used to previously driving.
eg Ive just to changed from an M3 to audi a3 and this thing has no power b4 2500rpm.

mine kicks in at around 1800/2000 rpm, If yours is nearer 2500 you may want to monitor it, however as the theme says - best wait till its run in first though, if I remember correctly mine loosened up nicely after 2k miles and even more so after 10k

Mine has improved a lot as the miles increase, Bluefin also helps a bit. Dont forget you need to be in a low enough gear! Performance in higher gears at low RPM will never be brilliant.

Turbo kicking in at 2500k rpm sounds a bit late for 2.0TDI 140. I'm not a very detail observer but I remember my Turbo used to constantly kick in around 2100k - 2200k rpm before remap. After Bluefin remap, it now starts kicking in 1900k - 2000k rpm.

If your Turbo kicks in at 2500k rpm, at what rpm does the juice run out?