1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow install recommendations

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by aagallarini, Apr 13, 2005.

1. aagallarini

aagallarini Member

I'm looking into upgrading the Bose Concert system in my 2001 S4. I can't really afford to spend $1000+ all at once, but can drop a couple hundred every month or so. Should I start with a head unit first or a subwoofer and amp? I know I'll loose the little screen in the gauge cluster with any head unit mod, but can probably adapt to that if I'm able to get all the other features I want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm itching to get started, just need to know where I might run into the least amount of trouble.
  2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Personally I'd add a sub first. This will transform the sound and is the easiest upgrade to do as all the connections are already on the sub loom (apart from a decent power lead). If you upgrade the HU first you'll achieve a minimum improvement in SQ (if any) & you'll need to buy adapters to hook into the Bose wiring (which will be redundant when you upgrade other bits).
  3. aagallarini

aagallarini Member

I was figuring I'd need to start at one end or the other. So if I build a box, load a speaker or four, an amp or two and run a decent power supply, I should be able to improve the SQ pretty easily. Sounds good to me.

What is a good path for the power lead to pass through the passenger compartment? Does Audi run a channel through the door sills for most of the wiring to the rear of the car? I've seen that with most cars I've done this kind of work to.
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Power is best taken from battery through the ECU box (under the windscreen), which drops staight into the drivers footwell, then under the sill trim to the boot.
  5. aagallarini

aagallarini Member

Driver's side UK or US? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The ECU itself is on the left side of the car.

On another note... The Bose system uses 2 ohm speakers, correct? I should be able to install amps for them as long as the amps are stable for a 2 ohm load, correct? The reason I ask is because I may install amps for front and rear as well as a sub and amp in the first stage of this operation. The next stage would likely replace the head unit and all the component speakers.

Thanks for your input.