slough audi want £100 to press a button

a3guy

Reaction score
after phoning about the free 2007 navigation disc set, was told that disc is free but labour is £100.

so thats £25 to open the car another £25 to remove disc £25 to replace disc and then finally another £25 to lock car again.:wtf:

now i know why they call them stealers.

tell them you'll do the labour, get them to post it to you.

lol service guy insisted that it takes 1 hour and required to be hooked up to audi`s central computer :lmfao:

gonna try another one

Thats the VAG-com coding, tell the service guy you have it and ask someone on the VAG-com forum if they'll do it for you.

The stealers tried to charge me 1 hrs labour to change a brake light bulb for ***** sake!

1) Ask to watch them do it, can't see how they can make it last an hour!

2) Email some other dealers and ask them for a price and then go back to Slough.

A4Quattro said:
Thats the VAG-com coding, tell the service guy you have it and ask someone on the VAG-com forum if they'll do it for you.

The stealers tried to charge me 1 hrs labour to change a brake light bulb for f*cks sake!

I once had a beef with Audi for the labour charges, spoke to Audi UK Customer Service who said that the time they put on the job has to be in line with the actual time it takes, so 1 hour for the brake light is way out of order.

Don't know why they have to hook up to the computer, just put the disk in, watch it load and reboot twice. Takes about 10 minutes, job done.

See my thread here , I had the same problem with my dealer trying to charge me. It doesnt need coding it updates the firmware from the dvds and will reboot twice during the process.

This is getting ridiculous.

Go back to the dealer and tell them that Audi UK sent a release out to all dealers on the "Desktop" system on 18/12/2006. Tell them to go and fetch it and read it!

This categorically states that the upgrade is FOC for the customer, that the cost of the disc should be charged back to Audi UK through the warranty system and that any labour charges are to be borne by the dealer.

With regard to labour, in the vast majority of instances it's simply a case of sticking the new disc in and the unit will upgrade itself. In a very few cases, users have been prompted for their PIN during this process. If you don't have this then you'll need the dealer to get it for you or hook your car up to their system so it can retrieve the necessary info from Germany but, as said above, even if this is required the release from Audi states they have to bear the cost themselves - end of.

If they give you any grief after all this, tell them to call Tom Peterkin who is the Audi UK Customer Services Operations Manager and responsible for all enquiries regarding TMC. His number is 01908 601627.

For anyone interested, here's exactly how the upgrade progresses:

• Drop the screen down and pop out the old disc
  • Pop in the new disc (don't bother putting the screen back up but if you do, be aware that it might stop part-way if the upgrade process starts before it's fully home)
  • After 5-10 seconds the screen will change to say it's installing an update and you'll see a progress bar.
  • The progress bar will get about 5% of the way across and then stop for 2-3 minutes - DON'T PANIC - just be patient and it will complete
  • The unit will reboot and come up as normal (the screen will also return to its home position if not already there) but the TMC icon will still have a line through it, again DON'T PANIC or touch anything, just leave it alone
  • After 10-20 seconds it will show another message that it's updating but this time without a progress bar
  • After a minute or so the unit will power itself off
  • You're done! - Power it back on and wait a minute or two and the TMC icon should light up - press the INFO button to confirm you're receiving messages

West London Audi did upgrade for me in 15min free of charge.

I'd also contact another dealer too, but it's worth calling Slough and quoting what Vertigo1 has posted above - it is supposed to be FOC.

I had a similar situation with a dealer wanting to charge a ridiculous amount to change a few simple settings (Central locking stuff). I just walked away and ordered bought a VAG-COM cable. Now I can change whatever I want whenever I want.

update

amersham audi upgraded for free but had the car a whole day
trying to rip off audi uk for labour i assume