1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipping clutch @ 24k mls! Mileage genuine??

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by kaisersolsay, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kaisersolsay

kaisersolsay Member

If you slip the clutch in 4th, 5th or 6th she revs away. Very strange as she only has 24k on the clock. I spoke to the previous owner on Friday and he told me that she had a new gearbox fitted last year, but said the mileage was genuine as far as he know and he had had her for 2 years and only put 7k on her. Going back to one of my first posts on here, I mentioned that my rear boxes didnt have the exhaust valves as the system cat back was not a genuine Audi system (have a Milltek cat back on her). I'm really really suspicious about the authenticity of the mileage now.

Is it normal for the clutch to go after just 24k??? Is there anyway to check the mileage is genuine....does the ECU record it anywhere?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Les 51

Les 51 A pint of Diesel please!

Is it not under some sort of warranty for such a low mileage? (mines at 95k!) my last car had 146k (cheap Mondeo though!)

4. kaisersolsay

kaisersolsay Member

I got 12 months warranty on her as she is an approved used Audi from an Audi dealership. Not the point though...I'm worried shes been clocked at some stage. Come to think of it, she needed new front discs and pads before I picked her up.

5. bonerp

bonerp Member

get a hpi, get all the history verified in the service book, then check whats been done (should be listed on audis system) to check the status.
    Maybe you just got a duff clutch.....

6. TORQUE HEAD

TORQUE HEAD Member

Might get an idea of mileage by looking at brake pads and pedal ware

7. 46TheDoctor

46TheDoctor Valentino Rossi A.K.A The Doctor

Mine is on 75k, still on original exhaust, clutch, gearbox and front discs, i would have to be extremely suspicious if all of this wanted renewing before 24k. Think your barking up the right tree, however proving it to Audi to obtain a refund or suchlike will prove to be a different story, to be fair you should be able to tell if a car has done 24k or not, general condition of pedals, seats, steering wheel etc.

8. kaisersolsay

kaisersolsay Member

Very suspicious indeed. I sat in a brand new S4 in the dealership the other week and the gear stick felt really stiff, mine feels quite loose when engaged in gear (manual). Also, the passengers lower seat bolster has very very slight wrinkling. I telephoned an Audi dealership in Leeds which appeared in the service book a few days after I bought her from Stockport Audi. They only had records of a new starter motor last August. However I spoke to the previous owner on Friday (got his address from the V5 then looked him up in the phone book) and he told me it had a new gearbox last year also from the dealership in Leeds. Strangley though this gearbox replacement wasn't on the system??!?! The chap told me that he had had problems engaging 2nd gear and that the dealership tried to sort it, but ended up replacing the whole box.

What will a HPI report tell me exactly??

9. Les 51

Les 51 A pint of Diesel please!

10. madvw

madvw Active Member

An "Audi Approved" car comes with a folder including all these checks - not a HPI, but individual checks. The certificate inside it your looking for is the milage verification and guarantee certificate. What does it say?

11. kaisersolsay

kaisersolsay Member

I got a 'Handover Checklist' but no certificate with mileage verification!?!?!

I just emailed the salesman at Stockport Audi advising him that I am suspicious about the cars mileage authenticity and that I will be taking it to an independant dealership for appraisal.

I will list all the parts that I have discovered have been replaced....remember shes only got 24k on the clock!

*Replacement gearbox
    *Replacement starter motor
    *Replacement full exhaust system
    *Front discs and pads
    *Replacement clutch
    *Replacement lambda probe

I'm gutted, but dont want to keep her if shes been clocked.

She got 4 previous owners on the V5 and ws serviced first at Leeds Audi, July '04 at 15k. She ws then serviced by MiniFixit in Morley, Leeds at 21k in April '07. I called Minifixit and spoke to the chap there...seemed genuine enough.

I've just paid for a HPI but it comes out clear. :3sadwalk:

What do you guys think??

12. madvw

madvw Active Member

yes, the milage verification certificate. When I bought my "Audi Approved" car, I received an A5 sized leather folder stuffed full of certificates and guarantees from checks on the car. One of them was a mileage verification and guarantee.

also, as taken from their (audi.co.uk) website:

As part of the Approved Used Car Programme, you can rest assured that the Audi you buy will have a clean, completely transparent record. You'll receive a certificate confirming that the following provenance checks have been carried out and verified:

• The vehicle's engine and chassis number match the DVLA records
    • The date of first registration is correct
    • The vehicle is free from outstanding finance charges
    • The vehicle has not been stolen
    • The vehicle has not been written off
    • Whether the vehicle has had a number plate change

We also make a thorough check of the vehicle’s mileage.

13. kaisersolsay

kaisersolsay Member

Interesting. Thats for that. Any ideas on how I prove to the dealer that its been clocked (assuming that it has) which I think now it has been.

14. TORQUE HEAD

TORQUE HEAD Member

Speak to a lawyer(should get first consultation free),with two independant assesments with all the technical information above,get the lawyer to call audi on your behalf.Dont think any of the previous owners will own up.going any further might be getting costly.

15. ronny

ronny Audi A4 1.8TQ

170k miles I'm still on the same clutch :)

and starter motor and exhaust.

I would still not say it has been clocked though, clutches can wear in no time if the old drivers drove it poorly, and maybe the gearbox replacement has caused the clutch to not line up true, causing wear?

Maybe clutching< no pun intended> at straws though lol

Remember low mileage cars don't necessarily mean a reliable car, I would much rather buy a 90k miles ex company car 1 owner than a 20k miles 3 owner run around.

Looking at your case I would say the car does not have a full service history, it should be serviced every year with low miles so somthing is amiss

16. Jay4

Jay4 Member

agree with ronny and is it not possible that the exhaust, discs and pads have been uprated rather than replaced?

17. kaisersolsay

kaisersolsay Member

Definatley not been uprated. I have the car booked into the dealership tomorrow for replacement, will take 2 days to replace. Going to do it under warranty though so not too bad, and I get a courtesy car out of them. I have asked them to look over the cr and give me thier honest opinon on whether its been clocked or not. I think I'm perhaps just not used to a low mileage car requiring so much attention.

18. Shifty

Shifty Avvve it!

i went thru a clutch in 13k on my peugeot but all depends on the way is been driven, if it was driven hard then quite poss,seems low for 4 owners however at the same time it can be genuine, why was its 2nd and 3rd service done at a local dealership??they are usually done by main dealers at that kinda mileage...ppl always worry over warranty, write to dvla..get list of previous owners, contact them and ask wot the mileage was when they sold it, then see if it matches, hpi only go on dvla records and that has only recently started to digitally record mileage for mots

19. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My 130 TDi has also done 170k on original clutch/gearbox, starter motor & exhaust. Low mileage cars are a nightmare, lots of short hard journeys with the engine and mechanics never being able to get up to temperature. No idea why people would pay over the odds for low mileage examples, just means they've had a very hard life or, as you are now finding, the suspicion they've been clocked. And 4 owners in 3 years is a big red flag.
    No way would that second service not have been done at a dealership, with the warranty still intact.
    As already said the gearbox could have been faulty and they'd replace the clutch at the same time, but the exhaust???
    What on earth woud have to happen to a 3 year old car to need the exhaust replaced? Both our Audi's have done over 160k on original systems.
    Good time to clock a car as well before there's any MOT evidence.
    Can you get any info on the other owners? If it was a fleet car they often do their own servicing, so again there would be no record on Audi's system.

20. Isoproturon

Isoproturon Member

We've got 2 A4s, both with just over 140,000 miles on them. Both are on the original clutch, exhaust, wheel bearings, everything really. But one has a much higher biting point than the other - I suppose it comes down to how they're driven but 24K seems VERY early.