sline side grilles question

swarcup

Reaction score
have just got my car back from the accident repair centre after someone bumped it. They have fitted some brand new side grilles,these are the sline ones and are correct but they are fully blanked off at the rear of them is this correct for my car 2.5tdi v6. i know that some models shouldnt have this fitted. is mine one of these?
many thanks

never had them before the accident, i talked the centre into fitting them as part of the repair procedure. the previous ones were all made from mesh from when i did the front lower conversion.

I've looked on ETKA but it's really not very clear. It's to do with whether the gearbox is manual or auto I think.

Hopefully someone with the same gearbox as you can come along and confirm what they have.

You might have the ones fitted from a non turbo engine as it does not allow for cooling provision for the intercoolers.

swarcup, the ones you have are Sport/S-Line as mine are also blanked off.

IMG_2933-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused then .....

Adamss24 says that turbo ones have open vents....

CMD says turbo models have blanked off ones.......

ETKA says that the difference is between auto/manual boxes......

I have to admit that i dont see the point in having an intercooler at each side and then restricting the airflow to them. The standard se bumper from before im sure the grilles let the airflow through

Once you take the side grills off there are two channels (black plastic) scoop things further back which channels the air to the two intercoolers.

$(KGrHqN,!k8E1F5WYp9YBNYNfuTCrw~~_12.JPG

Do the blanks just clip off?
Yes they do just unclip.

You are right it depends on the engine type/size and gearbox type as to blanked off or open.
My 3.0L (ASN) Quattro Tiptronic has o/s open and n/s blanked - as per ETKA and that matches my previous bumper grilles also.

In summary based on ETKA:

o/s Open (Grill-3)

• 6-cylinder Diesel
  • Quattro + 5 speed Auto with BBJ/ASN/AVK/AMB
  • Auto with ALZ/ALT/AWA/AMM/BDV/BEX
o/s Closed (Grill-4)

• Manual with BBJ/ASN/AVK/ALZ/BFB/AMB/ALT/AWA/AMM/BDV
  • 4-cylinder Diesel
  • FWD Auto with BBJ/ASN/AVK/BFB/AMB
n/s Open (Grill-8)

• Diesel
  • BFB/AMB/BEX
  • FWD Auto with ALZ/ALT/AWA/AMM/BDV/BBJ/ASN/AVK
n/s Closed (Grill-9)

• Manual with ALZ/ALT/AWA/AMM/BDV/BBJ/ASN/AVK
  • Quattro Auto with ASN/AVK/BBJ

Last edited:
so open and open then as i see it. Is that correct v6 and diesel means open. Had a proper look now and one is open and one closed, i must have seen one and presumed the other would be the same. thats a great help that table many thanks. il pop the plate out tmorrow.