Slight smell of petrol after driving

drfeelgood

Reaction score
Dosent happen always, but sometimes after driving i get out the car, and can smell petrol, smell disapears very quickly, iv checked the pump under the car and there dosent appear to be any leaks or corroded wires/ pipes...hmmm

Have you any engine/exhaust mods ?

dunno then dooood, i know our A3 does it but that has sports CATs etc so im putting it down to the standard map not being fine tuned - if it aint leaking i shouldnt worry

Check your pipe to the charcoal canister & the spill off pipe from fuel rail to inlet manifold.

My pipe to the charcoal canister spilt & caused a smell of petrol, replaced it with silcone pipe & i also replaced the spill off pipe as this was cracked on the up bend to the inlet manifold.

I had this on my s3 it turned out to be the fuel filter. It had a tiney hole not visable to the eye. I found out because after a fews days like it fuel started pi**ing out of it.

Hence why i change my oil, oil filter, pollen & fuel filter when taking first ownership of a new car, so i know there all dandy :)

Have a look around the fuel cap to see if there are any drops of fuel there. I had an issue with a gravity valve in the fuel tank meaning that pressure built up inside the tank and was ******* fuel out whilst driving. To check if you have a faulty valve, start the engine and then go round the side to undo the filler cap if you feel pressure building behind when you pull it off or fuel ****** out - bobs your uncle.

Oh it is a £4.00 part but you need to drop the tank to change it and about 4 hours to complete

Thats always the way, the fuel pump stopped working as it should on my mums slk, Mercedes ordered a new o-ring at £5 then charged her £500 labour!

Had the same issue with smell, really noticed it when the blowers were on. Turned out the plastic hose on the carbon canister had completly snapped off at the connector, stupid Audi plastic :banghead:
Anyway short story long I temp fixed it with a rubber connector and the smell seems to have disappeared. Really must invest in some silicone tubes and strip the lot out. I have pics but not too sure how to uplaod them..

think i figured it out, its only after filling up i get the smell. No doubt getting some around the flap, dosent happen all the time which would explain why its sporadic