1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight Play in Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by NineNails, Aug 10, 2012.

1. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Aug 10, 2012]
    I've kind of noticed this more since the 4 wheel alignment. If I turn the wheel there is a tiny 'dead' spot of a couple of mm more noticeable at a standstill but on a flat smooth road it is there too.
    Is there some sort of joint on the end of the steering column that connects to the rack or whatever?. The nearside track rod and end were replaced for the alignment as it was seized and the other one was fine so I don't think its these. It deffo feels more like it's in the connecting of the steering wheel somewhere if you know what I mean. I'm hoping someone is going to say there's some sort of rubber bushed universal joint on the end of the steering that needs replaced.
    Cheers as ever for any help
    Si.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. spartacus68

spartacus68 Member

[Aug 10, 2012]
    There's a universal steering knuckle joint, but as far as I can see it's a non serviceable part as it's attached to the steering column which in turn connects to the steering rack.

Steering universal joint featured here: AudiWorld Tech Articles

That joint is subject to wear and tear, like anything else. I read that the joint can be tested with pliers with the steering rack disconnected to determine play.

There are joints on EBay, but I'd hate to hazard a guess of cost from main dealer. Might be safer sourcing from a breakers if you know mileage from donor vehicle. AUDI A4 B5 96-00 STEERING SHAFT UJ KNUCKLE COLUMN | eBay

Double-check tie-rod ends first to rule them out.
  4. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Aug 16, 2012]
    Thanks for that pal. I re-checked for play in the rod ends and they seem fine. I checked the joint on the column and I'm sure it's there. For the hassle that it looks to be to sort out, I think I'm just gonna live with it for now unless it gets worse.
    Thanks for your time Spartacus