Site Colours

Olly_K

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to get this site a bit more like the main Audi Site, so people feel a bit more "connected" to the Audi colours, etc.

Let me know what you think, I appreciate your feedback.

It will only take about 3 mins to change back, so no need to panic !

Some of the forum icons will need updating as they look a bit naff against the darker grey, but if you could let me know what you think that would be cool :)

Not sure about the change, it's making my eyes hurt looking at the main Index. Thought my screen was on the blink. It looked much better earlier today. Sorry.

Looks good to me, definitely prefer the grey background, though I'm not so sure about the red.

i like it, although the red may get annoying over prolonged amounts of time. isnt it possible with some forums to have "themes"?

it is possibe to have themes, but I want just one theme for everyone. I'll see if I can make the red a bit less overpowering !

thats for the input guys, I've changed it to a darker red, is it any better ?

Bit dark the black text on a grey background but my screen at work is pretty dark

Looks great now Olly, just need the sort the icons now. The white & blue was way too bright imo. Much prefer the darker colour scheme - easier on the eyes.

thanks mate, I'll have to play with those at home, its gonna take a while to get the background icons to the new grey, but it will happen !

i like the red, black , grey, all the colours, but it is too dark for my eyes though.. maybe the contrast is too high?

K iv decided i dont like it.. looks too dark, maybe a lighter colour scheme? Black and grey background looks too heavy imo

try it for a bit longer, i still have to change some of the text colours, it grew on me :)

It seems harder to read in posts what with having black on a grey background... maybe my eyesight is getting bad but i'm only 19...

i;ve made the grey a bit lighter, let me know what you think

sorry looks a bit better but i still dont like it... blue, black and grey just dont go :unhappy:
I like everything else about the site and wouldnt advocate copying but.. if you look at fourtitude for example it is a lot clearer to read and easier on the eye. White grey and a bit of red is a more "audi" colour scheme. Change the black background to white and i think it would be much better if you want to keep the grey... (im a graphic designer)

where's the blue ? I've just changed the hyperlinks from blue to black.....i know i still have to finish some more of the blue icons etc but surely it looks better now ?

Like I said looks a bit better with the lighter grey, just not a fan of the black background or blue bits. Just my opinion. :smile:

silver75 said:
Like I said looks a bit better with the lighter grey, just not a fan of the black background or blue bits. Just my opinion. :smile:

yep thats cool and I value your opinion, just point out what blue bits you dont like as apart from the hyperlinks and the buttons I can't see any !

Liking the new look , the red is looking better now :cool:

like the red/grey.

hate the white borders around usernames, and menus, looks very amateur tbh.

I dont wish to offend, running/designing a webite/forum is beyond my means, I just would not use the white high lights.

the white lines are akin to that of the audi website, hence why i put them here. I've had to have some sort of border, just to break it up, although i've reduced it to just 1 pixel....let me know what you think !

Olly. it was not the lines... they look fine.

When i posted the above, all the members usernames, and menu items were blue text within a solid white background ontop of the grey back ground.

it seems to have changed back now.

Was it by browser playing up? if so i apolagise.

hmmmm, not sure, everything looked fine here, and I didnt changed anything.....what browser where you using ?
if it was IE then perhaps it displayed it differently, and me changing back to 1 pixel has helped !

edited just changed it back to 2 pixels, looks fine in IE, let me know, if its worse again take a quick screenshot :p

IE7, all ok now

it just looked like all the usernames and menus had been pasted ontop of the grey page in a white box.

2 pixel line working, but i think the 1 pixel one was classier.

your right, i've changed it back
Jesus I think my F5 key is gonna wear out soon !

Looking good olly. The light grey is much better than earlier.

Really liking it now! Well Done!

One thing Olly, when the page is loading the red is blue until the page loads (hope you understand what i'm trying to say!). I think it would be better if it is red at all times. The same thing happens when you post a message.

Can this be sorted? What do you think?

can the grey have a gradient to it aswell like the red. even just for the title bars like so

untitled.jpg

bit of a crap pic but you get the idea

dickys3 said:
One thing Olly, when the page is loading the red is blue until the page loads (hope you understand what i'm trying to say!). I think it would be better if it is red at all times. The same thing happens when you post a message.

Can this be sorted? What do you think?

yep, its loading a base colour, I'll sort it in a sec, playing ut2004 atm :p

tracer said:
can the grey have a gradient to it aswell like the red. even just for the title bars
It is possible, but I will need to re-code a lot of the css manually. Because :

Changing the colour is easy, you select "gray" and it fills all the boxes evenly. Now, when you introduce a gradient, it is essentially drawing the gradient over and over again. This is an example of the gradient :

gradient_thead.gif

So, drawing this over and over HORIZONTALLY isnt a problem,like this:

gradient_thead.gif
gradient_thead.gif
gradient_thead.gif
gradient_thead.gif

But it you want to go vertically, you end up with this:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/images/gradients/gradient_thead.gif
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/images/gradients/gradient_thead.gif

Which looks poop !

I'm still working on it, but it will take a while !

nice one olly, looks like u've got it in hand. oh, i like the new colours btw, just thought i'd put in my 2p worth :beerchug: