1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Mass Flywheel

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Boydie, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Sep 22, 2008]
    Alright guys, as some of you may know, my flywheel is acting up and causing the car to judder at idle

Also, I will require a new clutch in the near future.

Therefore it is sensible to replace both at the same time.

I was recomended to upgrade my clutch and replace the stock flywheel with another stock one

But, I emailed Sachs performance over the weekend and they have recommended their combo pack which includes:

SRE reinforced clutch cover
    SRE organic clutch disc
    Lightened one-mass flywheel

This will cost the guts of £1000 and that is their deal at the minute where as it would normally be £1200

Where as the clutch just costs £465 from them and I could get a stock one from Audi

In the long run I think I should go for the Sachs deal as I will not be changing the car for a long time

Would the car benefit more from a single mass flywheel?

Here is the link:

http://www.sachsperformance.com/EU/.../20-tdi-16v-mkb-bkd-mit-luk-zms/index825.html

thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

[Sep 22, 2008]
    I have a Sachs clutch on the S3 and it works great, if they had an uprated flywheel then I would have gone for that too..

Cant go far wrong with there stuff!!

Give Regal a call for prices etc, they are a Sachs importer for the UK
  4. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Sep 22, 2008]
    They gave me a price direct from Germany which doesnt work out too bad but will give them a shout also

Did you just straight replace your stock clutch when you got your S3??
  5. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

[Sep 22, 2008]
    Got the Sachs cover and drive plate and had to fit it with a standard flywheel, like I said I would have replaced the flywheel with a sachs item if there was one :)
  6. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Sep 22, 2008]
    Why did you change though? Just because you knew you were going to tune the S3?

Is there a noticable difference when they are installed?

Do you think I should go for the single mass flywheel instead of the dual mass??

why does the car have a dual mass flywheel in the first palce when a single mass will fit?

sorry for the questions lol
  7. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

[Sep 22, 2008]
    A Duel Mass Flywheel ( DMF ) has springs in the center of two plates which let the DMF take up the vibration from the gear linkage. If you fit a Single Mass Flywheel ( SMF ) you will notice a very loud rattle when in neutral plus reversing and when driving slowly with low revs. Unless you intend to tune your car to over 380+ lb torque i wouldn`t even think about it. My car was running 440lb torque for nearly two years with a DMF and the only reason i fitted a SMF was that no company makes a clutch for my car to hold 600 lb torque with a DMF as the would probably soon kill itself at that power.
  8. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

[Sep 22, 2008]
    What 'devonmikeyboy' said when it comes to the DMF.. But for me a SMF gives much better feel, and I wouldnt say that there is a 'very loud' rattle, you will just be able to hear a small amount of clutch chatter when the clutch is not depressed.. This is only really noticeable when you have a very light flywheel..

The reason I changed the clutch on the S3 was because it was slipping.. That was on the K04 turbo, and as I was planning on upgrading to the RS/S big turbo kit it was a must for me, since its been installed I have had no problems and it works great!!

The pedal is slightly heavier on my car, still light though IMO.. And the bite is a bit harder, but its very manageable in all driving situations, if someone just jumped in and drove it they wouldnt know that its an aftermarket clutch..
  9. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Sep 22, 2008]
    So definately stick with the stock DMF??

I do not want the car to rattle at all - its the juddering that I want to get rid of!

Also, how can I find out what type of DMF I have?

Am I right in saying that the LUK DMF is pish and the Sachs one is the one you want?

Devenmikey - would you just recommend:

SRE reinforced clutch cover
    SRE organic clutch disc

Jonny - what bhp are you running???

thanks
  10. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

[Sep 22, 2008]
    417bhp and 385ft/lbs.. But its the torque number thats important when thinking about which clutch to go with..

I would say go with a DMF if your after silent operation, SMF for performance :)
  11. Wes G

Wes G Member

[Sep 22, 2008]

:w00t: Cor blimey...thats a lot of ponies!!! Must be a monster off the line! Nice one:salute:

Ref the clutch, as above, if you want a nice silent one stick with a stocko or at least the DMF:icon_thumright:
  12. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Sep 22, 2008]
    Goodness me Jonny - let me know when you are selling :p