Simple Question - Transfer box?

Geoff-R

Reaction score
All I need to know is if the transfer box is a separate sealed unit to the gearbox on the manual Quattros? Does it require it's own oil or does it share the oil from the gearbox?

Cheers mate :thumbsup: did wonder as I had a quick search on Google and there was some conflicting info regarding manual and auto boxes, thanks for clearing that up.

On the R32 there was a change around 2006 one had own one shared oil

Yes it would seem so
There was quite a but of confusion at Vw when my transfer box failed due to oil seal leak on prop
As the gearbox was still full of oil
Good to know that your vehicle is in good hands at the local dealers lol

You can't fault the dealers! This is partly why I'm asking. I have a slight leak on mine that I've identified is from the transfer box but it must be a very slight leak as I've checked the fluid level on my gearbox and it hasn't changed! Still I think I'll need to tackle the leak before there are any further issues. I suspect the seal may have been passed it's best when the box and transfer box were split a little while ago.

ah... that would do it... there are 3 seals thats part of the bevel box/gearbox joint... they tend to be past thier best once taken off... mine weeped for a while after I did the clutch and that was with new seals but seems to have settled down now...

Only prob was that my local dealer couldn't find the seals listed but it was due to ETKAs typically random categorisation as they were hidden somewhere where the parts guy had never seen before...

<tuffty/>

I can imagine it's a pig of a job to replace those seals as well with the box in place? To be honest I should have had a bit more foresight when I had the box out to replace them there and then!

I can imagine it's a pig of a job to replace those seals as well with the box in place? To be honest I should have had a bit more foresight when I had the box out to replace them there and then!

Its a bit of work yeah but doable...

Drain gearbox oil, offside driveshaft off, disconnect probshaft, undo bolts holding it to box, undo bolts holding bracket to engine block and special tool to undo the bolt down the centre of the drive flange...

<tuffty/>