1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simoniz S*ite

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by tibbs, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Mar 20, 2006]
    Just cleaned the dash of my car yesterday with a spray of simoniz matt finish cleaner, then noticed today the rubber finish on my stereo buttons bubbling off!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif Anyone know if its possible to get a set of buttons (the channel/track select ones) or do you have to get a whole new stereo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Mar 20, 2006]
    what stereo have you got?
  4. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Mar 20, 2006]
    If it is a new Audi stereo surely this shouldn't be happening< You should have some recourse against Audi or Simoniz, unless either warns you to not use the others product!
  5. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Mar 20, 2006]
    It's the concert model. It looks like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif now, do you think Audi will do anything about it?
  6. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Mar 20, 2006]
    I'd approach Audi first to see whether there was anything wrong with its manufacture? Email customer services too: customer.services@audi.co.uk

I'd probably go in harder on Simoniz unless their bottle has a specific warning on it.

Either way, seems one or the other product could be viewed as not being fit for purpose? A cleaner shouldn't strip rubber unless it warns you it could.
  7. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Mar 20, 2006]
    I had similar happen to the rubberised coating of the light switch on my A4.
    It sort of 'melted' after using a product I forget the name of.
    You could see the wihite plastic underneath.
    The car was weeks away from replacement,so I never bothered doing anything about replacing it.
    I just 'coloured over' the white plastic with a marker pen to fool the leasing company's collection bloke.
  8. stewarta13wsb

stewarta13wsb Member

[Mar 20, 2006]
    I use Meguiars NXT Tech protect (I think it's called) and haven't had any problems, but as an aside... I read good advice on the Tyresmoke web site about NEVER spraying it onto the dash (just incase it works its way into electrics etc) but onto cloth and then wipe. Sorry if that's a 'granny and eggs' but I hadn't thought about it until I read it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  9. barker196

barker196 New Member

[Jul 9, 2006]
    Hey that explains a thing or two.
    Just picked up my 2003 A4 last week. The drivers side eleccy window buttons were disfigured and had half peeled showing the white plastic. Also the Concert Stereo buttons are faded and showing white. I thought the last owner was a bit heavy handed but it now seems someone used a cleaner they shouldnt have.

Just replaced the window buttons myself but the stereo will have to stay looking crumby!

Cripes!
  10. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Jul 9, 2006]
    My car had a peeling light switch took it audi and they changed it under warranty
  11. Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32 Member

[Jul 9, 2006]
    The buttons are seperate, they cost about 7 quid each. I've used plently of products on my buttons before and never had any problems.

The only thing I can think of is if your GF's nails/hand cream has scratched/metled the button finish and the Swissol just 'agrevated'\it?