Silly performance question.

• Thread starter imported_kkline
  • Start date
I

imported_kkline

I am in the market for a new A3 Sportback. I know this sounds silly but I have a friend with a Subaru Legacy GT, my current A41.8t just dosn't have the jam to keep up with the Legacy. How do you think the 3.2 would fair against the Legacy..Would I be better off with a tuned 2.0t?

Any thoughts...

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the market for a new A3 Sportback. I know this sounds silly but I have a friend with a Subaru Legacy GT, my current A41.8t just dosn't have the jam to keep up with the Legacy. How do you think the 3.2 would fair against the Legacy..Would I be better off with a tuned 2.0t?

Any thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have thought the std. 2.0TFSI engine A3 would keep up, but is the Legacy GT the 3.0 ltr lump ?. If so 2.0TFSI in std trim should fair ok.

[ QUOTE ]
The Legacy GT is a 2.5 Turbo 250Hp

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh !, well if it's as quick as the 3.0R spec B ( 241bhp ), then your going to need either the 3.2 or tuned 2.0TFSI, but wouldn't plan on eating him in either as this one is fairly rapid for a big car.

My bud has one and you are right for a larger car it is pretty quick. If i could just keep up I would be happy.

What are the stats on the 3.0r Spec b. 0-60 etc.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the stats on the 3.0r Spec b. 0-60 etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops looked at the 30-70 time last time instead of 0-60, so not as quick as I thought. 3.2 should indeed 'muller' it to quote 911SC. And the std. 2.0TFSI should keep it honest too.

Here goes:

0-60: 7.2
0-100: 18.3
30-70: 6.6
max: 142

All taken from Autocar.

Thanks bro. I am eager to get a 3.2Q but they wont be available over here for a few months.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks bro. I am eager to get a 3.2Q but they wont be available over here for a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, how much does petrol cost in Canada?

1litre of 98RON unleaded costs approx. £0.90 in the UK, which I work out to be CAD$2.12.

Or if you prefer to work in gallons, 1 gallon costs approx £4.10 in Britain, which is equivalent to CAD$9.60.

The low fuel economy of the 3.2 V6 puts it out of my league in terms of running costs. Although, I'd love to own one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Metric system in Canada.

Fuel near me is ~$1.05/liter 91octane.

Wow. $2.12/liter. That is expensive.

no offence kk but if you really want to keep up with that motor, you could get more performance for your money elsewhere.

Of course, if you want something that is better looking, better equipped and less likely to be stolen by lumberjacks, get the Audi and set off earlier!

I have an A4 now and cant imagine owning anyting but Audi. AWD is definately in the cards for me. Just need more jam. S4 is a little out of reach for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Fuel near me is ~$1.05/liter 91octane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your friend use 91RON in his Legacy GT?

95RON is standard in Britain, but Shell does a 98RON petrol for higher performance cars. In the manufacturer's handbook for my car it specfies 98RON to be used as standard. It works ok on 95RON, but it's slightly less responsive and gives less fuel economy.